Chapter 4: The Ghost Child

Stepping back into that library, I held my throbbing head, using my other hand to hold my knife.

"Hello." Lilith greeted me.

I slashed my knife through his skin, blood gushing out. He wiped the blood off his face and laughed. The cut was still visible on his face. He grabbed the knife with his hands, and threw it to the ground, shaking the blood off his hands.

"W-what..."
"I think I'm gonna keep this," he said, caressing his face.

My jaw dropped and my eyes widened at his reaction. Why was he appreciating the cut I gave him?

I sat down at my seat and threw my notebook to him, and continued my novel.

"Read it."

He silently read through the pages, chuckling to himself as he flipped through them.

A long silence filled the air until he started laughing hysterically. I got up and raised an eyebrow.

"Hey, so you wanted me to read this?"
"Well, you asked-"

I glanced at the pages and slammed the book closed. I covered my face and slammed it to the table. I did not mean to show that weird stuff.

"I brought the wrong notebook."
"I can see. It's okay, I won't doubt I've imagined hearing you moan like this."
"Did I hear you right?"
"You did."

I groaned and slapped him on the arm.

"I'm starting to not regret trying to kill you."
"That's so rude, but I don't mind."
"Shut up."

Hmph, it was no use talking to him. Though, it was hard to ignore him when he was breathing down my neck.

"So you are a weird person." he teased.
"What's that supposed to mean?!"

Godammit, get over yourself, Heli and stop responding! He's a vampire who's feeding off you! Why are you even talking to him? I didn't know what to feel. Maybe I should've been petrified at even meeting and talking to a dangerous individual. Relieved he hadn't killed me or worse, and even happy that he actually considered talking to someone like me.

Scritch, scratch. I sat in silence, letting the words flood my paper, as Lilith played with my hair. I saw a flash of light from the corner of my eye. I glanced to the side carefully to see Alexander's dark eyes staring at us from a corner. He stuck his head out, his pale olive skin shining against the light and put a finger to his lips. I shrugged in response and he face-palmed himself.

"Come out of there." The bloodsucker ordered.

Alexander took a step, revealing his full silhouette. He waved slightly, his legs shaking at the sight of the creature next to me.

"How are you so calm?!" he mouthed.

The vampire stood up and approached the ghost.

"Looks like you two know each other."
"Mhm, y-yeah." I stuttered, while my friend tried to sign something to me.

He looked around, barely glancing at us in the eye. Just how badly did he threaten him?

"So, you know a bit about Heli, right?"

He nodded and Lilith waved to me.

"We'll leave you for a moment."

They started to walk away and I leaned my head towards the direction they walked. As soon as they were far enough, I got up quietly from my seat and followed.

Far enough from where I worked, they stopped and the vampire scanned the area. I quickly hid behind a shelf and listened attentively to their conversation.

"What did you want to say to me, stalker?" Alex grunted.
"I'm warning you."
"It's true, isn't it? You are obsessed with him."
"It doesn't concern you. What does is that you stay out of my way."
"Out of your way of hurting Heli?"
"I'm not gonna hurt him," he said, between clenched teeth.
"How do I know that?"

The tension built up more as they spoke more vilely like snakes hissing at each other.

"I know something for sure, when a vampire gets attached to a human, it never ends well."

The creature summoned black smoke around the area. I held my breath, shaking within the strong aura curling around me.

"Tell me, who has the upper hand here?"
"Y-you..."

The ghost took a sharp breath and stepped forward.

"You don't know what he has been through, so don't make it worse. He's barely keeping himself going."

My eyes widened at the mention, but even in my mind, I couldn't deny it. The smoke dissipated, and Lilith sighed.

"I understand you are someone who's trying to protect him," he whispered apologetically, "but it's too late now."

I coughed, gasping for air, and it echoed across the air. I flopped onto the floor and glanced at them. I got up and shook off the dust.

I stood there, my mouth clenched shut. No words could stop me from the silence that rang in my ears.

I turned around and ran back to my place. The bloodied notebook fell to the ground and I sighed, picking it up, opening it to the freshly drawn art.

The student rested their head peacefully, with fingers running through his dark hair. It was me.

The tanned writer standing in the hallway raising his hands up to the stars, his hands trembling. Me, again.

Someone tugged against my clothing. I looked to my side, a little girl frowning back at me.

"You look sad."
"Do I? This is my resting face." I laughed.
"Now you look happy."
"Why thank you, little girl."

She hummed to herself, skipping around the desk. She stopped and sat down on the desk, flinging her legs around. Her laugh was happy, but I could hear a scream along with it faintly. Very faintly.

"Do you eat food?" she asked.
"Yes, of course I do."
"Wow, I don't. I play with the others without ever needing anything."
"That is good."

The ghoul leaned her head, staring at the pencil in my hand.

"Why do you write?"

I looked up for a moment, thinking of what to say. I turn to her, slightly smiling at her curiosity.

"I write to escape reality. I'm human after all."
"That's a little strange."
"Well, we all are sometimes."

My friend ran down the hallway and grabbed the girl's hand.

"I told you not to bother the writer!"
"Sorry, mister."

He glanced at me and strolled away with the child. How peculiar.

I chuckled and held the bloodied notebook between my hands. Maybe, someday, I would find the creature who made this.

I glanced to the sidelines, to see a pair of empty sockets. Long ragged hair falling to the sides of her face, a smile creeping across her face. She opened her mouth, black slime falling out her mouth. My blood froze and my breath quickened.

I covered my mouth, to not scream and ran out the library. I quickly slammed the door and huffed. What the hell was that?!

Oh my god, dialogue is so hard to write guys! What did you think of the child and what do you think is going to happen next? I decided to update today because I wasn't sure if I would be able tomorrow. See you next week!