Valentine's day special

Sure, people will celebrate with joy and laughter, and I will watch from the distance. Candy is only good if someone gives it to you. The couples skip through the meadows with love in their eyes while I sit in the fields all alone.

For a moment, I wished that was me until I realized nothing lasts forever.

The river was calm, the stars reflecting off the water. I wish I could see it with someone by my side.

Someone did come. He did, and I couldn't admit I had a little warm feeling inside me.

He sat next to me and leaned his head onto me.

"Funny how people get into romantic moods this time of year." he laughed.
"I think it's stupid."
"Why?"

I shrugged and he laughed at me.

"Are you jealous?" he teased.
"No."

He dug his nose into my neck and breathed heavily.

"What are you doing?"
"Nothing," he said, his breath still tickling my neck.

I sighed and took out my notebook, scratching words down.

"What are you writing?"
"Nothing much, just some poems."
"Hmm..."

He laid his head on my lap, his ponytail brushing against my clothing.

"Can you read it?"
"Sure, when I'm done."

The pencil scratched loudly against the parchment, as the scent of the spring hugged the air.

"You smell fresh," he mumbled.
"Maybe that's because we are next to the river."
"Well, you smell nice, like the blossoms next to us."
"Thank you." I hushed.

My pencil stopped for a moment, and I dropped it from my hands.

"Read it out to me now." he breathed.

I breathed in sharply and opened my mouth.

"Each sunset's warm colours glide Across the water of the sea,
Reflecting into my eyes,
I watch it next to someone,
Someone special,
Someone who I love with my heart,
So much, I can't dare let the words slip.

My heart wrenches for him,
Breaks for him,
Calls for him, when he isn't there.
My thoughts gliding through the air,
In despair and love,
For I can live without him no more.
My isolated life would shatter,
Tiny pieces of my reflection.

Alas, I am already broken into pieces,
By those in my past,
The ones who were once close to me,
Who's betrayal and my realization,
Might be the end of me.

Will he help me piece myself back together?

Or will he break it once more, till I cannot breathe?"

I chuckled dryly and turned to him. He frowned and ran his fingers through my hair.

"Is that from your own experience?"
"Yes."
"Is it about me?"
"Yes."

I immediately regretted not lying, which I would usually do. Maybe it felt right to finally tell him. Was it a good feeling to let go of your feelings and let it slip out your tongue? I usually regretted what I said.

"Ignore it."
"I don't think I can now."

He smiled and curled my hair. He pushed me to the ground and looked at me, his side hair falling to the sides. My face heated as he laid his head down on the grass, relaxing himself.

I couldn't understand him, but I couldn't understand myself either. I just knew I felt something with him, and this time, I didn't regret letting the words slip out of my tongue.

Did you like my showcasing of the poems? That's my poetry sneak peek! My writing style will develop as this series goes so, so if you see the improvement or things I need to work on, let me know.