Chapter 3

𖤓˖⁺‧₊☽𓅨☾₊‧⁺˖𖤓

Ms Peregrine's pov

She started eating the food and you did too. Thankfully it was still warmwhich after all that talking. Food was a good way to bond and if that was already cold, that would be helping. She didn't talk much, but listened attentively to all the thriving conversations at the table.

You studied her. You were normally pretty good at reading people but with this girl it wasn't that easy. You watched her actions and they were barely saying anything about her inner character. Also her words were well sorted and she didn't speak that much. You didn't know whether that was shyness or if she was simply reserved. The only thing that talked were her eyes and they didn't return to her after she finished explaining her peculiarity.

This girl made something with her no one else did before, confuse her. But not that her actions confused her, even though they did too, but they confused her inner voice. It couldn't tell her the girls true I tentions towards *herself*. The children were safe, that point was clear. The way y/n looked at them, the glister of joy and fun in her eyes, was genuine. The way she looked at her was different, though. She always wanted to remain polite and without prejudice, but that was hard with the granddaughter of Mr Portman. Of course he never did anything to hurt anyone, but after some time he just left to kill wights. He promised he would return after accomplishing the mission, but instead he joined the army, married and had children, who had children and now y/n was here.

The picture of her eyes looking into yours flashed in your mind. A very long time ago someone looked at her like that.

It was before the loop and then later at the pub, but it was never from a *woman*. You probably misjudged her look anyway, but they just gave you a feeling you couldn't define. You just wanted her to look at you again, but of course she could just ask her to. First it would we weird and secondly you didn't even know why and you weren't sure wether it was smart to follow that curiousity.

Your gaze wandered back to the children, it was almost movie time. You normally never forgot to check the time but your thoughts made you forget it entirely.

"Common Children, finish up, it's almost movie time. " And with that you took your plate and walked to the kitchen to place it in the sink. You started to relax your shoulders.

"Where should I put these?" A voice behind you asked. You straightened you back and turned to see y/n. She stood by the door. Her luscious y/h/c hair reached until a little over her chest. She wore a lilac sweater and a pair of beige trousers with big pockets.

"Um... Here." You said after realized that you were staring at her, hopefully she didn't notice. She began walking towards you and your heartbeat increased as you took a step back to make space for her.

She placed the plates inside. "Can I help you with anything else?" She asked and looked into your eyes. Trying to remain professionally you acted normal, as always. This wasn't any different than with others, was it?

She helped you wash the plates, you washed and she dried them. With her help you were two and a half times as fast as normally.

"Alright, we have 5 minutes and 37 seconds until the movie starts." You said after you both dried your hands. She chuckled, her laugh was adorable. "What?" You asked confused.

"Oh... Sorry. It's just the way you announce it on the second, its so cute." She said and smiled at you. You couldn't find any bad intentions even though the comment was mixed. You chuckled as well, how could you do something else when this girl was acting so genuine.

You accompanied her towards the movie room, as Horace put his metal projector at his eye. You flipped the light off and the projection began.

First it showed him in his clothes, trying new ones on. It always started like this. You saw y/n at the corner of you eye. Her face was full of amazement, looking at his dreams. You chuckled inside and continued to follow the routine. His dreams normally lasted between 5 minutes and 19 seconds and 7 minutes and 48 seconds.

Then then movie changed and it showed a girl from behind. She slightly turned until she directly faced the camera. The smile on her face was priceless and full of joy as her gaze stared into the lens. Then the movie ended. Everyone turned to her and I could see her cheeks turning redder. She normally already had a pinkish colour in her cheeks.

She smiled lightly and looked at you, hoping for help. You therefore clapped with both of your hands, "Alrighty children, you have 2 hour, 23 minutes and 53 seconds until reset, the time is yours." You said.

"Um.. ms Peregrine? Can I talk to you about my reason being here?" She asked. "I don't talk about unpleasant matters.... But it seems like it's necessary." You answered. "Emma, Enoch and Olive, please stay behind." You slightly shouted.

The older kids came to you, a confused expression masked their faces. You began to walk and guided them to a closed room near the kitchen.

"Please take a seat." You said as you indicated to the U-shaped sofa. Olive, Emma and Enoch took the one long part of the U, Y/n sat in the middle and you took a seat next to her at the other long side.

"So", she began, "You may have guessed that I did not just turn up here without a reason. One night I came back and found.... found my family dead in the house. Of course I.. I allarmed the police immediately but they seemed to not be able to help. They did call me to clarify how they died yet. Back to them... When I looked at their corpses, their.... *Eyes* were missing." A lonely tear spilled from her eye. "I grabbed a few important things, some clothing and my early gift form my grandpa, Abe as you might... Might know him." Her voice remained strong, but two other tears joined the first. You checked the time.

You wannted to comfort her, but figured it wouldn't help her in completing the story and you weren't sure if she would be comfortable if you did decide to do so.

After she took a deep breath she continued. "His last words were 'find the bird in the loop'" she shot you a glance, "and then he died.... My parents were already dead when I came. It was so scary. Then I drove to a distant hotel, while the police handled everything. They told me to go, I mean I would have stayed but they said it would be allowed. At the hotel I then opened the early gift from my grandfather, as it was the only thing that was left."

You could hear Emma sniffle and then you quickly glanced at your watch. "I unlacked it and found a book and a letter. It explained everything and brought me here to search for you." She finished and wiped her tears away.

"What kind of book did he give you?" You asked curiously. "Oh, it was his diary from when he lived here and a little after." She answered and looked at you. How did she look so gracefully while crying?

"Well, thanks for sharing with us. This means we got to be carefull. Did anyone follow you?" You asked allarmed. "N...not that I know of. The way that I came to you was quite.... Peculiar." She chuckled.

You slightly smiled but proceeded to not ask how, maybe you both would have a conversation when you weren't in such a depressing atmosphere. You looked looked at your pocket watch "we have 1 hour, 56 minuted and 39 seconds until reset. You three are dismissed." You pointed at Emma, Enoch and Olive. Then you turned you head slightly to look at y/n. "Would you like to join me on a walk outside?"

Her eyes widened slightly and you asked yourself wether she was surprised by this suggestion or if she didn't like you. "Sure" was her answer and you slightly smiled, pleased by her answer.

You stood up and walked towards the door, she followed you.