Chapter twenty-two

Dinner got wrapped up pretty quickly after me and Rafe's little

Dinner got wrapped up pretty quickly after me and Rafe's little... encounter in the restroom. My blotchy red face not causing any concern for anyone except Sarah, who just gave me a concerning look.

I'm now back in the house with my dad, who is yet to even mention the small spat at the table or the events that occurred after.

To be honest I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned it to me, in fact, it seems like he's actively avoiding the subject all together.

Is it wrong for me to want my own father to question why my boyfriend quite obviously made me cry in public?

It's as if he can read my mind when he turns to me on the sofa, looking like he wants to say something, but fighting against it.

Finally he speaks up, his brows knitting together slightly.

"Why was Rafe so upset tonight?" He questions me, his tone remaining soft, but still calm and steady.

I nervously play with the hem of my dress, not knowing whether to lie to him or not.

"Uhm... he just gets a bit jealous sometimes" I croak out, too nervous to meet his eyes incase he sees through my lie.

Well technically it isn't a lie, just a understatement... a very big understatement.

He clears his throat awkwardly, acting as if he doesn't feel very comfortable saying whatever he's about to say.

"I think the best thing for you to do is just apologise and move on. It would be quite detrimental for you two to break up don't you think?" he murmurs, making me snap my head towards him in shock.

He wants me to apologise? Me?!

"Me?... Me apologise? Are you crazy?" I chuckle dryly, shaking my head in disbelief.

He rolls his eyes and straightens himself up on the sofa, his face hardening sternly, a lot different to his calm demeanour from only moments ago.

"Annie there's no point in acting like a child about this, you know how much me and ward want this relationship to work out. Especially given the fact that we'd want there to be a marriage-"

The second I hear the word 'marriage' come out of his mouth, I shoot up from the sofa, my eyes widening in complete and utter disgust.

"Marriage?! You must be kidding me" I exclaim in anger, raising my voice at him.

He squeezes his eyes in frustration before standing up to face me, taking a few deep breaths to calm his aggravated state.

"You're not a stupid girl Annie... you know this was going to be the end goal for you and Rafe. For us to finally be able to join the families in a union" he replies naturally, like this is the most normal thing ever.

I feel as if a bolt of electricity has just struck me, my body paralysed on the spot. There's no words that I can even begin to mutter out right now, I am left completely speechless.