xvi ━━━ a war to come

────────────────────────
☄. *. ⋆┊ chapter sixteen

 ⋆┊ chapter sixteen

Under the brilliant twilight sky, Rhaenys and Rhaego mounted their horses.

With a swift kick, Rhaego urged his horse forward, the wind whipping through his hair as he galloped ahead, eager to explore the vast expanse of their new home. Rhaenys followed closely behind, her own horse matching her brother's pace with graceful strides.

They raced each other across the fields, their laughter mingling with the song of the wind as they chased the horizon.

As the twins enjoyed racing in the fields they heard a distant noise coming from the cave, and made their way to check it.

Rhaenys and Rhaego approached the cave entrance, they heard the echoing sound of picks striking stone. Curious, Rhaenys dismounted her horse and approached cautiously.

As they rounded a corner, they were met with the sight of men toiling away in the dimly lit cave, their figures silhouetted against the flickering torchlight.

Rhaenys furrowed her brow in confusion, her voice carrying across the chamber as she called out, "What is going on here?"

At her words, the men paused their work. Among them, a figure stepped forward, clad in the attire of the North. It was Jon Snow, the man they had seen speaking with their mother just the day before.

Jon's gaze fell upon the twins, his expression solemn yet measured. "You must be Queen Daenerys' children," he remarked,

Rhaenys nodded respectfully, "I am Rhaenys, and this is my brother, Rhaego," she introduced, her tone polite yet inquisitive.

Rhaego remained on his horse, eyeing Jon Snow with a guarded expression. He was wary of strangers, especially those from distant lands.

Jon offered a slight nod in acknowledgment, his eyes flickering between the twins. "I'm Jon Snow, Lord of Winterfell"

Sensing the tension in the air, Rhaenys sought to ease the atmosphere with a tentative smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Lord Snow,"

Jon nodded in acknowledgment. "Likewise, Princess Rhaenys, Your mother has spoken highly of you," he said, his voice tinged with respect.

Rhaego's skepticism softened slightly at the mention of their mother. "What are you doing here, Lord Snow?" he asked, his curiosity piqued.

Jon Snow turned to face Rhaego, his expression grave as he began to explain, "We are mining dragonglass," he began, his voice steady and measured. "It is a weapon we will need in the wars to come."

Rhaenys' eyes widened in shock at Jon's words, her mind racing with the implications of his statement. "Wars to come?"

Jon nodded solemnly, his gaze meeting hers with unwavering resolve. "Yes," he confirmed, his tone heavy with the weight of the impending conflict. "There is a greater threat beyond the Wall—a threat that poses a danger to all of the Seven Kingdoms."