Chapter 4 - Scota

A/N: Trigger warning: graphic violence, sexual assault, and death of loved ones.

Scota scowled down at the arrogant intruder standing on the black sand of her island. A single step into shadow and he'd never find her. But then, he'd tromp all over her land trying and end up poking his nose where it didn't belong. Danu's tits, she hated visitors. Especially male visitors like this spoiled brat of a disgraced prince.

Yeah, she knew who this blond and blue-eyed peacock was with his pretentious silk robe. Who was he trying to impress? This wasn't his grandmother's Winter Realm court. Shouldn't he be rejoicing at the return of his father? Not that Horus would be welcomed back with Baldur to Asgard. Not after his betrayals during Freya's War between his father's beloved Asgard and his grandmother's Winter Realm.

Still, Odin was in a forgiving mood with his eldest son's return, so maybe. He'd apparently allowed Isis to accompany her husband, even after her attempts on Shannon's life. Although, given Isis was Baldur's soulmate, her going a little crazy after his death might be more understandable.

Horus, though. That kid was a backstabbing brat right from the get-go. Some of her visions had suggested... well, she wasn't sure so she hadn't told Loki, but Scota feared Horus had been behind not just Sigyn's death, Loki's first wife, but also Revna's death, Loki's mother and Frigga's twin. The blackness of Helheim swirled and surrounded Horus, embracing him, and in any vision she'd seen clearly, he got far too much enjoyment out of causing suffering and death. It was a sickness in him. The last thing she wanted to do was go have a conversation with the sadistic bastard.

Still, she stepped into a shadow and appeared behind him on the beach, in the silhouette of a towering palm. "Why are you on my island, Horus? I don't take kindly to visitors," she warned, fingering her daggers.

Horus bowed, a sweeping mockery when she knew he didn't give a fig for politeness unless it furthered his goals. "Shadowy One, I come on behalf of my grandmother, Freya. She wishes to employ your Dark Goddess skills to remove a demon from Litaui. Do you still accept contracts?"

A demon on Litaui? Scota clenched her fists. Well, as usual, Horus had found exactly the right leverage. No way could she refuse to hunt a cursed demon, especially if it was preying upon the mortal realm. Humans were defenseless against such creatures and if they were getting through, then Asgard wasn't keeping them at bay the way they'd sworn to do.

"Yes, I accept contracts to kill demons," she growled, narrowing her eyes. No way did she trust Horus. "Who is the demon and why is Freya targeting him?"

"The demon is pregnant with a half-human, half-demon spawn. Freya has learned the demons plan to capture humans to force them to breed to aid in growing their populations." Horus waved a dismissive hand, wrinkling his nose. "You know how those fucking mortals reproduce like a plague. Well, the demons want to take advantage of that property."

Scota blinked. It was a disgustingly logical plan, curse them. But the damned demons were strong enough already. Even Asgard's might barely held them at bay in that ancient war. A wave of fury washed over her, filling her with determination. To let them gain in numbers and strength? No... NO!

Her mind's eye recalled that horrifying night so long ago when she'd lost the other half of her soul, her twin brother. Still children, they'd been playing seek in the southernmost reaches of the summer realm forests when a red-rimmed portal appeared and two demons—massive dragons—had emerged. They'd decimated her village, playing with the elves who'd pled for mercy. She didn't see which one raped her mother, then toss her broken body aside, but she heard her father's horrified voice and mother's screams as Scota had run back through the trees, desperate to get there, desperate to help.

Except she arrived in time to see a massive claw disembowel her father, his blood staining the earth before a black crocodile-shaped maw devoured him. And she hadn't been fast enough to grab Sambar as her twin launched himself at yellow-brown scales. His belt-knife didn't even dent the demon.

Instead, it laughed. "A snack? My favourite kind. I do love them so when they are young and tender," the horrible creature had cackled, then bit Scota's brother in half. Screaming, still alive, he was tossed into the air and then with a snap of long-razor sharp teeth, he was gone.

Gone, like the rest of her family and village. No one had survived except her, hidden in the shadows. If she could stop them from creating more foul creatures, then she'd take a contract from Hades himself.

"Yes, I'll kill the demon. Do you have a location or a name for me to start with?" she said, holding her hand out for the bag of currency Horus tossed up and down in one hand.

"Anna Latifi. Freya isn't certain, but believes the west coast of the North American continent—probably Seattle," he said, handing it over. "You'll get the second half of your payment when Freya gets confirmation of the kill. She'd prefer the demon's head in a bag, but leaves that up to you."

"I'll be in contact," Scota said, then took two steps back and slipped back into the shadow.