Chapter Twenty-Six

(This chapter is a little longer (I think))

POV: Violet Sorrengail

A screech rendered the air, and an enormous grey dragon emerged from a valley two ridgelines in the southacross the Poromish border. It tucked its two legs up under it massive body as it flew away from us, heading straight for Resson.

"Do we have a riot nearby?" Liam asked.

"No," Xaden answered.

It was as though the ground beneath my feet shifted. The dragon shrieked again, spewing a streak of blue fire down the mountainside, setting some of the smaller trees on fire before it reached the plains where Resson stood. Blue. Fire.

No. No. No. Wyvern My heart launched into my throat. "Xaden, it has two legs, not four. It's not a dragon. It's a wyvern." Maybe if I say it a few more times, I'll believe what I was seeing.

Holy. Shit. Was this what leadership had been redacting?

They were supposed to be myth, not flesh-and-blood beings. But then again, so were venin.

"Well, there went our air superiority," Imogen said across from us, then shrugged. "Fuck em. They can die, too."

"Guess we know all the details now," Liam said.

"Anyone want to change their minds?" Xaden asked down the line. None of us answered. "No? Then mount up."

I walked toward Tairn's shoulder as Xaden strode over to me. He started to say something, but Liam's voice interrupted him. We both looked over to him.

"Garrick. We need to do it. Now."

Our gazes snapped to Garrick who pressed his lips together and clenched his fists. "Liam –"

"No, Garrick. We promised, remember?" Garrick sighed and nodded before walking over to Liam.

Promised what? I sent Xaden a questioning glance, but he didn't have an answer either, so I focused back on Liam and Garrick.

"He won't be here on time, you know that." Garrick said to Liam, and he nodded. "But we promised him."

Who?

Liam and Garrick grabbed each other's hands, laying their forehead together. What was going on? The air began to crackle around them and began to feel heavy. A hum filled the atmosphere and whispers flew around.

That was when I noticed that Garrick and Liam were whispering between each other, their crowns shining on their heads. The wind picked up and whisps of silver magic flew out of their crowns and around their bodies to their intertwined hands, gathering. It looked like Xandor's lesser magic.

Xandor.

It was him they promised something. But what?

The whispers grew louder and it felt like a pull was forcing the wind to them. The whirl of silver magic pulled the wind and leaves to it like a water vortex the surrounding liquid. Garrick and Liam separated their foreheads and I gasped when they open their eyes. They were glowing with a bright silver light, leaving nothing left. Raising their hands in the air, the silver magic shot into the sky and disappeared with thunder growling.