8.

"How long do you plan to keep trying dresses on?" Ada asked with an impatient sigh, as she waited by a dressing room. "Is the fourth store, pick one already!"

Leonor took her time as she walked out of the dressing room taking a few steps back to get a better look at the mirror nearby.

The delicate rustle of silk accompanied each careful movement, the fabric of her gown clung to her body in an almost perfect fit.

"I think I found it." Leonor took a deep breath, feeling hot after trying on dozens of dresses. She ran her hands down through the dress, relishing the feeling of the silk, which cascaded down in graceful folds. The cut, revealed just enough to be alluring, yet maintained an air of modesty with its golden pearly-ish color. "What do you think?"

"Well..." Ada stood up to get a closer look, putting down her cigarette. In the low light, the dress seemed to shimmer or maybe she was so relieved that her sister-in-law finally found something she liked.

"It's perfect." She chuckled, realizing that even if the dress wasn't as perfect as it was, she would've lied through her teeth with no remorse. I'm becoming more like Tommy every day, Ada shook her head, trying to dismiss that thought as Leonor returned to the dressing room, changing back into her original clothes. "Hm, about Polly..."

"What about her?" That voice was like lightning.

"Jesus, you fucking scared me!" Ada brought a hand to her chest, slapping her brother's shoulder later. "How long have you been here?"

"Just got here meself, Ada." Thomas lied, circling around the store. "So, what about Polly?"

"Ada, can you help me with-" Leonor stopped herself as she walked out of the dressing room, after noticing her husband's presence. "Oh."

Thomas tilted his head, studying her face. As he observed her, he maintained his usual stoic demeanor, especially around the curious workers who pretended not to notice the leader of the Peaky Blinders at the store, but his eyes betrayed him for a mere moment, as a flicker of approval flashed across them, too fast for Leonor to catch on. "Ada, I appreciate your help today."

She scoffed, rolling her eyes. "I'll wait outside."

Leonor watched her as she stepped out, then returned her attention to him, only to notice his eyes roaming through her as if analyzing the dress.

"Well, what do you think?" She asked, breaking the silence.

Thomas, as always, took a moment before responding, his voice measured. "It suits the occasion."

"And? That's it?"

He leaned in, lighting a cigarette, his expression impassive. "Leonor, the dress is just a means to an end, not the end in itself."

Leonor sighed, rolling her eyes in disappointment, her bare feet dragged her back to the dressing room, defeated. I don't know what I was expecting, a compliment? From him? "Of course. So approval granted..."

"Granted?" Thomas scoffed, blowing the smoke of the cigarette away from her face. "Said who?"

"Am I not?" She faltered, bracing herself as he approached her.

Thomas just grabbed her shoulders, leading her to the big mirror nearby. "Not yet, Lady Leonor." His tone was new, unlike the one she had heard so far, it was almost playful, as he pulled something out of his pocket.

Sparkling diamonds, carefully set in intricate patterns, nestled between each diamond, there were a few deep red rubies, which adorned the choker, catching the light with every subtle movement. "Almost."