11.

"Didn't take you for a cheater," Thomas noted when Leonor tried to squeeze two questions for the price of one, his voice laced with an accusatory yet almost playful tone. "It's my turn."

"It wasn't a yes or no question but it's all I got so far." She scoffed, leaning against the chair, her eyes burning holes in his back. "But by all means, it's your office, so go on."

He leaned back in his chair, his fingers tapping against each other. "Alright then. Dogs or cats?" Thomas dragged the words and the question sounded ridiculous in his deep voice. She did her best not to laugh but frowned, tilting her head

"Both."

"Hm, and here I was thinking you had a soft spot for Mr. Solomons's dog" Thomas joked but the way she looked at him and said nothing, made him wonder if Leonor hadn't a soft spot for Alfie instead, so he quickly changed the subject. "Next question, Mrs. Shelby."

"Are you religious?" She asked, and Thomas hated how with every frivolous question he asked her, she would return with a more personal one.

"I was, once." He sipped his glass, his jaw clenching at the taste. "Not anymore."

"Why?" All it took was one intense look at her and Leonor understood it was his turn. "Yes, yes..."

Thomas hesitated for a moment, something unusual for him, wondering if this subject was even a good idea, but figured he would never get the full picture if he never made the effort to ask her.

"How was it like?" The look on her face got serious, but she waited for him to finish. "Spain."

"It was everything. I had never been happier." Leonor paused and drank the liquor in her glass, the bitterness causing her to twist her nose later on. "It was...perfect."

"Perfect, eh?" Thomas argued, standing from his seat to refill her glass. "No life is perfect, princess."

"Mine was." She stared him down, defyingly but changed her mind in a second. "Almost perfect, but at least I was happy."

"Why almost?" He returned to his seat, fishing up a cigarette on his desk.

"It's my turn now."

The silence took over the room, but it was quickly replaced by his dry chuckle.

"Go on."

She was unsure of what to ask him, considering that they had been dancing on the lines for almost hours now. Not one real question had been made yet and the tension was starting to get to her.

He could always say no and move on.

"How was she like?" Leonor didn't look into his eyes, she kept her gaze on the glass. "Your wife?"

Thomas sighed, figuring she held back her curiosity for longer than expected. Not once she had asked about his past to anyone, nor the staff or his family. He liked that about Leonor, she was quiet, and discreet when needed.

Or maybe he just hadn't bothered to talk to her for long enough to properly get to know her.
"Lizzie was a good woman."

"Not Elizabeth...the other."

Grace.

The tension in the air almost turned into cold water, freezing those around it.

"She was perfect," Thomas spoke after a heavy minute, finishing his drink. "Grace was perfect."

Leonor nodded, knowing it was a sensitive topic. She heard the mean violent gossip about him and his previous wives whenever his name came up, but she found the whole ordeal more sad than anything.