13.

took me longer to update, i was sick with the flu and then with a stomach bug

Here's the new chapter

.....................................................

The sight of Thomas Shelby in the staff kitchen was not only rare but also feared among the workers.
It usually meant problems, at best.
So when his voice was heard, way too closely for both their liking and safety, is safe to say that all their guards came up.

"Mr. Shelby! Good evening, sir."

He just nodded as he rubbed his eyes with his hands.
"All set?" Thomas questioned, eyeing the dinner plates, desserts, and pastries. When they realized that he was asking about the food, a breath of relief was heard all around for most of the kitchen staff.

"Oh, yes, Mr. Shelby." The head cook nodded vigorously, eager to please.
"Do you wish to try any of the cakes?"
He gestures to three big cakes on display, drying his sweaty hands on his apron. "We did as requested, sir. There's almond, orange and-"
"Chocolate, yes I'm aware of what was requested." Thomas cut him off but almost instantly regretted it. He knew that wasn't the best idea to mistreat those who handle your food, and that snap was uncalled for. "Which one do you think she'll like best, eh?"

The cook smiled, then laughed uncomfortably. "I wouldn't know, sir."

Thomas pursed his lips and walked out of the kitchen, missing out on the response that Tony, the newly hired cook, whispered, only to be shushed by the head chef.
"It's not a good idea to show off how much you pay attention and know about the lady of the house, Tony." The chef dried the sweat on his forehead, looking back at the door.

"You right, he's the one who should be paying attention." Tony scoffed, tossing his apron as he stepped outside for yet another smoke break, mumbling something in Italian under his breath.

In the meantime, Thomas took slow and carefree paces around his property, looking at the decoration in the rooms. The smell of the food, both the dinner and the sweets wrapped their inviting arms all around and he found himself taking a deep breath as he stood by the driveway.

The remaining of the Shelby family, notorious for their absence of silence, made their way towards the entrance, teasing each other with insults and jokes, that soon turned into laughter.

"Ah, Tommy, it smells fucking amazing in here for a change." Arthur boomed, as he took his heavy coat off, tossing at the coat of the check attendant. "What's for dinner?"

"Wine, if you behave." Thomas scoffed, checking his pocket watch. "Can I count on you, brother?"

Arthur nodded, already stuffing his mouth with a pastry. "You know you can."

Sometimes Thomas wished he didn't know that, so that Arthur didn't have to deal with the consequences of his loyalty, but today wasn't one of those days.

"Yeah, yeah, good to know..." He patted his brother's back, as you would pat a horse to get it to keep walking, and saw Polly, glaring at him before she returned roaming around the room, accompanied by Ada, whose eyes seemed less harsh and resentful than Polly's.
Not long after, the room became filled with people he would rather not know now or never.

Such as the pair that just walked in, a cloud of poison and gossip following behind them.

"Mr. Shelby, how lovely to see you!" Lady Mary, Leonor's aunt kissed his cheek, way too eagerly.
"And how lovely of you to throw such a lovely party for my niece." The way her breath smelled of alcohol and the way she kept repeating lovely over and over, made clear to him that the woman meant the antonym of the word instead.