Stealing the Seeker (Part 3)

James

When they break apart, shock dawns on Reg's face. He tries to shy away, but James, with reflexes honed by countless Quidditch training sessions, acts too quickly and prevents him from withdrawing. He cradles Regulus's cheek and forces him to look up.

"You're fast, but I'm faster."

Regulus shivers. Probably from the cold, so James uses the excuse to wrap Regulus closer. He lets out an annoyed huff but leans against James, melting into him without resistance. James rearranges their positions so Reg can slot in between his legs and winds his arms around Regulus's midsection.

"Had to one-up me, huh? I came here all determined to convince you I'm not all bad, and you do that."

He smiles against Reg's hair, silken even damp from the rain. It smells faintly of jasmine, and it's already James's favorite scent in the world.

"Go ahead, then, because I remain unconvinced. So far, I think you're a distraction that's terrible for my health."

James threads their fingers together and brings their entwined hands to rest on Regulus's stomach. He takes a moment to admire their interlocked digits. They create a striking contrast, pale elegant fingers laying atop solid bronze ones, almost like piano keys in reverse.

"Do you kiss every distraction stupid?"

"Ugh. You're such a pest."

A little befuddled, James is still coming down from the kiss, but he could swear Regulus's harsh words sound nearly... fond. The form doesn't fit the message they contain. It sparks a flicker of hope into life within James, so he chances the question he has wanted to ask ever since he first laid eyes on Regulus.

"Fair enough. But what if I am your pest from now on?" James feigns bravado, praying he sounds more unconcerned than he feels, but his voice catches on the last words as his nerves get the best of him.

"One might argue you already are."

James tightens his hold on Reg's hand.

"That's not a real answer, Reggie. Do you want me to be yours?"

"Are you serious?" Regulus shifts and wriggles until he turns sufficiently to rove over James's face with a heated gaze.

"I am." James captures Reg's hand, brings it to his mouth, and starts breathing kisses across his knuckles, causing Regulus to blush again. The red color sits pretty on his pale face, and James longs to make it permanent. He tests the waters by pressing a kiss to each of Regulus's slender fingers, on one hand, then another. When he's finished, Regulus has turned crimson from the roots of his hair to the sharp point of his chin. His chest is rising and falling with effort, and his mouth is parted and inviting, but his next question suggests James hasn't entirely convinced him.

"Why me, though? The entire school is obsessed with you, except for Evans, who has more brains than the rest of your house combined. You have your pick of simpering fans. Besides, there's a chance that Sirius will kill you when he finds out you kissed me."

"If I remember correctly, it was the other way around, but I have no problem rectifying the situation," James says with a grin, but then puts on a more sober expression as he continues. "I don't care about the rest of the school. It's always been you, Reggie. You truly have no idea why?" James lifts his hand to Regulus's jaw and trails over the sharp planes. Regulus cocks his head, only slightly, but it's enough to bring his lips in line with James's hand. James freezes, putting his quest to explore and touch every inch of Regulus's face momentarily on hold. His eyes drift closed as he focuses on the sensation of Regulus's breath wafting over his palm. Each puff feathers over the sensitive skin, sending warmth tingling through James's body.