A nap in the Jade Pavilion

One of my readers on ao3 asked me to write out the following idea:
"Could you write a scene with Maomao being caught napping by Gyokuyou or the other Ladies-in-waiting whilst looking after Lingli?"

Sure I can! And this is what I made out of it (including Jinshi, of course)! Also, a little sequel to it is already planned!

Summary:
Jinshi was immensely happy that he finally got a chance to visit Maomao, who had returned to the Jade Pavilion. However, he never suspected what would happen during that visit...

A nap in the Jade Pavilion

His back straight, his gorgeous face solemn and his hands tucked in his wide sleeves, the “heavenly nymph” named Jinshi was walking through the Emperor's “flower garden”, the Inner Palace, performing one of his duties as its overseer: paying a visit to the four upper consorts. His long hair was slightly moved by the wind and his posture the very embodiment of dignity and authority, making him seem like an unapproachable being that stood above everyone else. Accompanied by the longing sighs of the palace women he passed by and his faithful aide Gaoshun.

But the closer the two of them were getting to their last stop, the Jade Pavilion, home of Consort Gyokuyou, the more that image kept fading; the “beautiful celestial being” was transforming into just an ordinary young man. A young man, who was almost beaming with happiness, looking as if he would start humming a song any moment now. So beaming, he was even on the verge of forgetting to not let his mask slip.

“Sir, there is a grin on your face. Please be more careful, it looks very childish,” Gaoshun, who was walking behind him, reprimanded him quietly, noticing his lord’s expression, when the latter turned his head to the side.

“Oh, is that so?”

Even Jinshi's voice sounded overjoyed. He did wipe the grin from his face, replacing it with his usual fake smile, since he still couldn't forget where and who he was, but that didn't sullen his mood. And he had the feeling that nothing would. Because today was the day he had been eagerly waiting for. The day he would see a very special young woman again. One that he had “lent” to Consort Gyokuyou for the time being.

It had been several days since the last time he had seen his favorite apothecary. Being already used to having her live in his residence, her absence felt as if there was a certain emptiness inside him, as if something was missing. Every morning upon waking up, he needed to remind himself of the fact that, once again, he wouldn't be able to see her familiar petite silhouette neither in his chambers nor in his office or walking through his hallways. And it did cause him a certain pain.

Yes, Jinshi was missing Maomao horribly. However, this time it was different: this time, he, at least, knew for sure that no one would take her away in his absence, that she wouldn't go anywhere and also that she was (relatively) safe where she was living now. That he would definitely see her again. That made everything more bearable.

And thus, he just kept counting the days until his next visit, the days until he would be allowed to feel complete again, even if it was just for a mere few minutes. Watching days and nights pass, immersing himself in his usual work and counting, always counting. Until he would have a reason to go see her.

***

Finally, Jinshi and Gaoshun saw the entrance of the Jade Pavilion in front of them, and Jinshi's lips threatened to curve into a grin once again at the thought that Maomao was right there, behind that door (if she wasn't on an errand or something, which he very much hoped wasn't the case). But he managed to contain himself with some difficulty.