You are really here, Part 2

Just our Mao being Jinshi's doctor :)

Having arrived at the "damn idiot's" chambers, Suiren quickly opened the door and stepped aside in order to let Maomao in. The very first thing the apothecary spotted, was the bed with the young noble lying in it and Gaoshun standing beside him, who immediately turned his head into her direction as soon as he heard her enter. The aide was as composed as usual, however also wore a deeply concerned expression on his face. Which was understandable, since the young lord was almost like a son to him.

The only illumination in the room was the flickering light of a few candles, which only managed to intensify the oppressive atmosphere hanging in the air and allowed the darkness of the evening place itself like a heavy stone onto the souls of the people present there. A brazier was producing a pleasant warmth, but Maomao noticed that Jinshi was still trembling under his blanket as if he was standing barefoot under an icy downpour.

"I'm glad you came, Xiaomao." The aide took a few steps towards her. "Could you please take a look at him?"

"What happened, exactly?" she inquired, approaching the bed. "Lady Suiren told me that he suddenly collapsed."

"That's right. He just finished his bath, and I wanted to have a brief talk with him about tomorrow's work, before he goes to sleep. And as he intended to move on to the couch for that, his knees suddenly gave out under him."

"A-Apothecary..." Jinshi uttered with a miserable voice, when he saw Maomao, and let out a sneeze. But she didn't pay him any attention, instead placing her hand on his forehead as soon as she arrived by his side. As already expected, it was as hot as a piece of metal under a blazing sun.

"I see. He didn't hit his head, did he?" she asked Gaoshun.

"No, luckily not. I immediately noticed that he was falling and managed to catch him just in time. Then I carried him to bed."

"Good that you were there, then." Maomao admired Gaoshun's fast reflexes. She was really glad, because a bump on his head or a concussion were surely the very last things Jinshi needed in his current state.

"Don't feel like laughing anymore, do you?" she thought bitterly, leaning over him. There was no trace of mockery nor malicious joy in her thoughts — she was certainly far away from being a saint, but by no means the type of person to rejoice at the misery of others, no matter what kind of grudge she was holding against them. The only thing she was feeling right now was anger. Nothing but anger at Jinshi's stubbornness and carelessness that had been the reason for his collapse. Why, just why was he doing that to himself? For what purpose?

But now wasn't the right time to be carried away by her personal feelings. First and foremost, she was an apothecary and currently had a patient in need of treatment in front of her. That was the only thing that mattered right now. Her scolding would have to wait for later, when he would feel better again.

Jinshi looked helplessly at her from half-closed eyes. His hair, that was spread over the pillow, was still a bit damp from his bath, and his cheeks flushed red from the fever. Apart from that, he was breathing heavily and through his mouth, since his nose was surely stuffed.

Right now, he was truly different from the Jinshi she had met just a few hours ago.

However...

"Damn! He's looking like a walking pheromone even when he's sick." Maomao couldn't help thinking.

Him lying in his bed with that expression, the occasional sweat drop running down his gorgeous face, his blush and the disheveled sleepwear, made the apothecary assume that a considerable amount of people of both sexes would feel the desire to do... stuff to him, if they should ever see him like that. Good that there was no one else but the four of them in that room. To be that good-looking was really more of a curse than a blessing...