3. Serendipity

NuNew groaned as he stretched his hands above his head. His body felt stiff and he did not want to move just yet. It's quiet around him so he figured that his friends were still sleeping. He laid still in his bed, enjoying the silence that still settled at their flat. He felt calm and content. He had no plans for the day and as far as he knows, there were no immediate things to do because the wedding was over. The wedding.......

At that thought NuNew opened his eyes, just to make sure that he is indeed at their flat and not somewhere else. Thinking about the wedding brought clear, radiant eyes to the forefront of his mind. Next to the eyes is the smile. Dazzling.... Zee.

His hands moved to his chest as he closed his eyes again, feeling his heartbeat, willing it to calm down. Oh, he remembers now. How Zee asked him to dance, how he was hesitant at first but eventually gave in, how he enjoyed the sound of Zee's voice as they engaged in a casual conversation as they swayed into the music. He loved how their bodies seemed to be in tune with one another, never awkward, perfectly fitted.

"So, you're in your final year in college, just like Nat? I heard Mark say it in the office a while back." Zee kept up with their small talk while dancing.

"Yes, we're classmates, we take the same course, and it's our final year," NuNew informed the guy who's about a head taller than him.

The man can dance, Nunew thought. Yes, they were just doing the basics but the ease with how he was being carried through the song was something that a person who has learned dancing does. He should know. He took dancing classes before, just to please his grandma who he always took to her weekly ballroom dancing class. Since he's almost always there, his grandma took the liberty of enrolling him too.

Zee nodded in understanding and asked, "What course are you taking?"

"Languages. I major in Chinese." NuNew answered happily. He takes pride that he is an above-average student in his chosen course. He loves that he took this road because it is something that he wanted to learn.

"That's interesting. I can understand a bit of Chinese myself because I was assigned at Medialink's Shanghai office for almost a year, but that understanding is just really the basics." I've learned that acquiring a new language is a skill aimed at the young. It's a bit of a challenge, mastering it as you're older." Zee laughed as he smoothed the back of his head, just out of habit, more than anything, while still keeping up with the song they were dancing to.
NuNew found this adorable and had to reply with a tiny laugh along with Zee's. "You can't be that old and, the basics will do if you're really having trouble with it. "

"Now that's encouragement, thank you!" Zee gave a smile that reached his eyes. NuNew had to inhale to take in as much air as he could. That smile could have knocked him down if he wasn't careful.

"You plan on getting up or will you stay in bed smiling like a crazy person?" Yim pulled him out of his thoughts as he plopped at the foot of his bed.

"I bet I know specifically what you're thinking of." continued Yim.

NuNew was going to answer when James suddenly appeared by his door. "More like a who rather than a what! Are you thinking about a certain someone whose name starts with a Z...followed by E...E?"

"Shut up, you two! I wasn't thinking of anyone. I was thinking of our day ahead. We won't need to do anything but lounge around since we have finished all that we need to do." NuNew answered hurriedly trying to divert his friends' line of thinking.

It was an effort that was sure to fail coz the friends know NuNew too well, they do not want to let this go. NuNew had to talk. This is the first time that they saw him look the way they saw him look last night. Well apart from the times when the guy talked about Jin of BTS, Chris Evans, and a certain someone that captured NuNew's attention during their second year whose name will not be mentioned, as long as the friends are concerned. Zee was an actual person within their reach and they are sure that NuNew found him interesting.