6. In the Wake of Things

Nunew could not help but shake his head. His friends never liked staying up late. They would normally be tucked in by 10:00 PM, snuggled in their beds, reading a book, or playing with their phones getting ready to doze off. Seeing their flat with most lights turned on at this hour was extraordinary, to say the least.

Zee immediately opened his door when they stopped, not minding even if Nunew said he should just drop him off. When Nunew’s side opened, the boy sighed, then stepped out. He’s making this really hard as Nunew thought about it. Shadows were moving inside the house. The slam of the car door might have alerted his friends, so the next thing that happened did not surprise him at all.

“Hey, you’re home!” Nat said. It was funny, the door was still not fully open when he greeted them.

“Hey!” Zee greeted. “Is everyone still up?”

“Yup, but we're about to tuck in” Yim answered which made NuNew laugh. They didn’t look like people about to tuck in. They were all hyped up, and Nunew knew what will ensue once the door closes.

“Oh, I see, well I’ll say good night then. I just brought Nunew home.” Zee said then faced the boy, who pointedly looked at the crowd by the door before looking at Zee.

Several “Good night, Zee’s were heard before Nunew faced the man entirely. He gave him a shy smile as he said “You have to excuse them. I seldom come home late, so….”.

“There’s no need to explain. I find your friends funny and they seem to be really protective of you.”

“That, they are. A little too much of you ask me”, answered Nunew shyly.

“Well, it is late now. Thank you for today. This was unexpected but I’m really glad I saw you at the café.”

Nunew smiled brightly. Never in his thoughts that he knew this would happen. Thanking his lucky stars to be given the chance to hang out with Zee and learn things about him. He was really happy. “Good night, thank you for bringing me home.” He spoke.

“I hope we could do this again sometime. This was fun. And I really liked talking to you. You should go in now so you can rest.” Stepping onto the pathway, Zee turned back when Nunew replied.

“Drive safely, send me a line when you get home.” Oops!! Did I just say that? Oh! Sorry! That came out of habit, coz that’s what I usually say to people close to me. Nunew felt flustered.

“But I really liked hearing it, makes me feel that we are actually close. Also, it reminded me that I do not have you in line too. I was meant to ask earlier but it slipped my mind. So, may I have your line ID?” Zee hoped it was okay. Nunew then took out his fone to which Zee gave a thankful smile.
Nunew made it to his room. Then chaos happened. He was about to put down his bag when the door flew open after three loud knocks. Aiming straight for the couch in the room, his friends sat comfortably. Not long after everyone was seated, Yim’s phone rang. A video call. So, they will be joined by Net and Tutor too Nunew thought, not at all surprised.

It didn’t take long for the questions to start.

“So, why were you with Zee?”

“Did you not meet with your group?”

“Where did you two go?”

“Why were you with Zee?”

Nunew held up his hand to signal for them to stop. He was getting overwhelmed with the questions.

“Stop! How I am supposed to answer if you won’t stop firing questions?” The boys quieted down and signaled for him to proceed.

“I can’t believe all of you! You would have thought that a party was in full swing inside the house. The way the three of the porch lights were open!! Really?” Nunew started ranting. “We leave porch lights open when one will be coming in late! Just one though, not three!”