Chapter 13

Cassidy's POV:

I was asleep as Kennedy came bursting through my door. "Cassidy, wake up! We're going to be late for work!" I quickly rolled over, and checked the time. I forgot to set my alarm last night, and we had to be at the stadium at 9:30. It was already 9, so I jumped out of my bed and ran to get ready. We were in the car now, headed to the stadium. "I'm going to Door Dash some coffee and breakfast to the stadium for us. Do you want your usual?" I asked Kennedy as she drove us to the field. "You don't have to do that. DR texted me this morning, and asked if we wanted anything from Starbucks. I got you your usual. The guys are already at the field so we have to get it off of them." Kennedy pulled into the parking lot, and we got our things and headed in. We went down to the locker room, and got our coffees from DR. We thanked him for getting the coffees, and then I said bye to Kennedy. I headed down to the Trainers offices to find Frances.

"Cassidy!" I heard Frances yell as I walked into the office. She slowly got out of her chair, and waddled over towards me. I started laughing, and walked over towards her to shorten her distance to me. "Hi Frances! I'm so sorry about not being there this past weekend. I felt terrible leaving you to do everything knowing how far along you are." Frances wrapped her arms around me, and gave me a tight squeeze. "Don't worry about it Cass. I'm happy you're here now and feeling better." Frances sat back down, and started filling me in on what happened the past weekend in Tulsa. "I cleared DC to play, Connor sprained his pinky so he's out. The other guys that were hurt last week are still out, and aren't cleared to play yet. The goal is to do some therapy and things with them so we can clear them next week. Let's get our things set up, and then we can go out to the field. I want you to take over this week because next Friday is my last day before my maternity leave starts." I froze as I forgot about Frances going on maternity leave for the baby. It felt like these past few weeks flew by, and I can't believe Frances is about to have her baby. "Cass, did you hear what I said?" Frances asked standing by me now. "What? Um, yeah I heard you. I can't believe you're going to be leaving. I feel like the time flew by. I'm going to miss working with you." Frances put a hand on my shoulder and smiled. "I can't believe I'm about to have this baby if I'm being honest. I'm going to miss working with you too Cassidy. I'll probably bring the baby around in a month or two. Maybe you'll get lucky enough to be asked to come back, and work for the Bananas again next season. Then we'd get to work together again." I stood up now, and gave Frances another hug. "Let's get out there, and not think about me leaving. You still have to deal with me the rest of this week, and all next week." I started to laugh, and followed Frances out to the field.

I was nervous that Frances was letting me be in charge today, but I pushed that feeling down as we stepped onto the field. I went over to the bullpen to check on Connor and some of the other pitchers. I was talking to Connor about his finger as I heard someone yell my name with a southern accent. I turned around to see DC running towards me. "Cassidy, Hey!" He flashed his signature smile at me before I turned to Connor and gave him some instructions. Connor agreed, and walked away. I went to look back at DC as I felt a pair of arms wrap around me. I looked up, and saw it was DC. "What's this all about?" I said while laughing. DC let me go, and took a step back. "Sorry Cass, I missed you that's all. I wouldn't have been worried about you if you would've texted me back. I knew you weren't with us when we were in Tulsa, but I didn't know why. I had to ask the guys, and they told me you were sick. I'm happy you're here. Did you watch the games this past weekend? Frances cleared me, so I got to play." "I'm sorry I didn't text you back, I was dying on Thursday, but felt better on Friday. I was sleeping a lot, so I wasn't really on my phone much. I watched some of the games this past weekend in between sleeping. I did see you play a little. I saw your throw to second to get Flash out, that was pretty cool." I stayed talking to DC before going back to check on the other pitchers and catchers who were injured. I met back up with Frances by the dugouts after I checked on everyone.