𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄 ☘︎ 3

Austin, Haymitch, Cinna and I sit on the train together (Portia, Austin's stylist, couldn't make it) and listen to Effie rant on about all the benefits the train offered.

"Fabulous food, fabulous wine, I told them, nothing but the best for my two Victors. You know, it all needs to be-"

"Fabulous?" Haymitch asks sarcastically, swigging some wine before talking.

"Exactly," Effie says, taking a sip of tea with her pinky in the air before putting the cup and saucer down. "Now, the schedule's a bit of a bare, twelve days, twelve Districts, but it's mostly parties, celebrations and adoring fans to meet you at every step of the way and then we wrap it up in the Capitol.

"All you need to do is give a few speeches, wave to the crowd and enjoy your time in the spotlight. You've earned it."

I turn round, fire in my eyes. "What did you say?"

"Willow-" Austin says in a low voice.

"I'm not speaking to anyone else, least of all you," I retort.

Effie sighs. "I said enjoy it, Willow, you've earned it."

"By killing innocent people and getting congratulated for it," I snap, standing up and walking out of the carriage.

"Young lady..." I hear Effie start to scold me before the door clicks shut.

On my way to wherever I'm going, I see a half open door with people inside it, scanning maps of Panem to navigate where we're going. When one of them sees me, he clicks the door shut. I roll my eyes as continue to the back of the train.

I sit there for five minutes, looking at the wilderness around me and hoping that I'll be able to get through the next two weeks. At some point, I get the mockingjay pin out of my pocket and spin it in my fingers, when suddenly I hear the door open.

"I'm really not in the mood for a lecture, I'll apologise to Effie later," I say. I expect to see my mentor when I look up, but when I do, I see my fellow tribute.

Austin.

I clear my throat and look down. "I thought you were Haymitch."

"You don't have to apologise to anybody," he says, sitting down next to me. "Least of all me."

"How'd you figure that out?" I ask ironically.

"For once in your life, Willow, you could listen to me," Austin says, rendering me silent before he goes on. "I don't want you to be unhappy, but I don't want to continue on like this, either."

"Well, sorry, but that's what's going to happen," I snap.

"Willow, you could at least try to be friends with me, and if not friends, then-"

"Allies?" I raise my eyebrows. "Yeah, I've been there. Not going to work."

"Okay, fine, I want us to be friends," says Austin.

"I'm not good at friends, as you damn well know," I say.

"Yes, I do," said Austin. "But the way the whole friend thing works, Willow, is getting to know the person, so the fact that you've never had friends is partly your fault. Take you, for example, I don't know anything about you except that you're stubborn, feisty and good with axes."

"That about sums me up," I nod, not interested in whatever this is.

"No there's more than that, you just don't wanna tell me," Austin continues.

"You're right, I don't," I see no reason not to be honest.

"Okay, so to find out stuff, you have to ask the person questions," Austin says. "Like... what's your favourite colour?"