Chapter Eight

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

I ran as fast as I could to the clearing, knocking tree trunks and branches that I couldn't care less about.

All I wanted to do was curl myself in a ball and cry my life out in my mother's arms. Despite the lies, I wanted her.

It was a mistake and also the right thing to do by coming here. I knew the risk of getting hurt and I came here anyway. I got my answers. And now I must suffer the consequences.

Thinking that my father would accept me was a dream. A dream that would never ever come true. A dream that has turned into a nightmare.

I'm not welcomed here. Not anymore.

I'm an outcast.

My heart pounded in my chest as the clearing came into view. I stopped in front of the portal, sand flying in the air causing my vision to blur a little.

My chest puffed. Up and down, as I breathed heavily.

I was finally going home, but why did I feel so attached to this place?

I was an outcast and yet I wanted to stay. Just not with my father. But I wanted to stay. I needed to stay. I never ignored or questioned any instinctive feelings, and yet I have a thousand questions to this one. Why do I want to stay?

Rustling in the bushes caused me to step out from my trance of thoughts. I scan my surroundings. I didn't see anyone around the clearing. But the shadows...

Several wolves jumped out from the shadows, surrounding me. I counted them in my mind. Ten.

They were all grey wolves except for one who was black. A demon wolf.

But I wasn't worried about the one sticking out. I was worried about the pure bloods. And I wasn't on my father's land. Technically, I was─but it wasn't territorial because everyone was allowed on this specific part of the land.

Grey wolves could only mean one thing─Lucien Grey.

I wasn't going without a fight. And I couldn't just go to the human world. They would follow me and try to capture my mother as well. She was the last tundra wolf and my mother. I couldn't risk it.

So I decided to fight.

I growled at them, barring my teeth. They growled back. One by one, they pounced. I ducked most if them. They ended up hitting into each other.

I tried to leave but the others blocked my way. I leaped onto the demon wolf's back and bit into him. He howled and flung me against a tree trunk.

I wasn't giving up. I stood up again. Running, I circled them. Two jumped at me and I gladly scarred them with my claws.

Another one lunged at me, knocking me to the ground. He hovered over me. I kicked him in the stomach and he went flying.

From all of them, one was a she-wolf. She was smaller than me but she looked like she had strength in her.

She growled at me. I growled back at her, and louder. She hesitated, decided whether to lunge at me or not. She made her decision in a second and lunged at me. I raised my paw and slashed her face.

She howled and held her face with her paw as she rolled around the ground. Too bad the pain was too much for her.

Suddenly, I was knocked to the side, harshly. My body ached from the impact. I glanced up to see one of the wolves stalking toward me like a predator.

The she-wolf was just a distraction.

Before I could get up, I felt a prick on my leg. I turned to see a man injecting me. I kicked him causing him to fly back into one of the trees. But it was too late. The liquid he injected me with already started to take charge.

My vision blurred and I felt dizzy. I got up attempting to run but I fell onto all fours again. I was weak. Vulnerable. Anything could happen.

Before I could think of something else, the darkness took hold and there was nothing I could do.

My eyes widened as I gasped for air. The icy water on my skin made me shiver.

A man was in front of me with a bucket containing water and ice. He poured the rest on me despite the fact that I'm awake.

"What's your problem?" I bark.

"I'd shut my mouth if I were you, princess." His voice was deep. Almost too deep. It didn't sound natural.

"And who are you to tell me that, huh?"

Before I could do anything else he slapped me. My face turned to the left, facing a very ugly wall where the metal bars of the disgusting bed pressed against. I huffed, even though it stung. He grabbed my face─my jaw to be specific─and said, "I told you to shut your mouth."

I snarled at him, pissing him off even more. "No. You told me indirectly. And I'm afraid I don't work well with indirect speech."

I received another slap from him before he threw me back against the bed. My head hit the wall hard. The pain pierced through my skull.

"I don't know why I bother when your going to die soon." He mutters.

I mutter after him. "You're the one that's going to die first."

"What was that, princess?" He looks over his shoulder.

"Nothing."

"Good. Now get up. I don't have all day for you." He grunted.

I wanted to grab his neck and bash his head against the wall. But I knew I didn't stand a chance. One way or the other, I was going to make him suffer for touching me.

I get up from the wet, ugly bed that smelled like rotten eggs. I was in a cellar with ugly plastered walls and cracked tiles. Water flooded the area and I hated the fact that I had to walk on it with my bare feat.

The moment I realised I had nothing but a shirt on, made me freeze. The fight with the wolves replayed in my head. I must have shifted back when I was unconscious. The person who put this shirt on me had better been a women or I swear to God I was going to make that man who did pay.

I followed the guard as he walked out but he pushed me unexpectedly back inside. "Nah uh, princess. I said you should get up, not follow me out. You're a prisoner not a guest." He spat.

I fisted the bars and snarled at him. "You're going to die. Mark. My. Words."

He laughed at me, almost sounding like a hyena. "Princess, I'm not the one that's going to die."

He smiles when he sees me back up. Little did he know, I wasn't scared of him. He wasn't the reason my heart pounded in my ears and for the fear rising inside me.

There was only one person who could make me feel a million emotions at once as well as fear.

My mate.

I could feel him so close. So near. As if he was just outside. The feeling overwhelmed me. I felt like I was hyperventilating.

Is this what it's supposed to feal like?

It bloody hurts.

I grabbed my throat, suddenly deprived of air. The oxygen not quite reaching my lungs.

"Stand up, princess. Stop acting like you're dying. He's here." The guard said.

My breaths became heavy and uneven but I managed to get the word out. "Who?" My voice broke a little which I was not proud of.

The guard's mouth curled into a sinister smile. "The Alpha."