Chapter Fourteen

I couldn't sleep that night. Not after everything that happened.

"No. He didn't." I had told Zade.

"You are forbidden from leaving this pack house, from leaving this land. It isn't safe anymore."

I was mad. Angry. Furious. Furious at the fact that I was now like a prisoner, locked up. "No." I seethed.

"This is not up for debate. You will do as I say. I am your King. Your Alpha. I am your─father."

"I am a rogue. I do not belong to any pack nor do I belong to anyone. And you─you are certainly not my father."

I belong to Lucien, the dark Alpha, your enemy, was what I had wanted to say in that very moment.

"Kira─"

"I'm leaving then. If you wish to lock me up in this house then fine I'm going. Now I understand what exactly my mother must have gone through."

I didn't wait for his answer or his outburst, I left his office and went straight to my room, avoiding anyone that would stop to talk to me.

I laid in bed, restless, thinking, replaying every event from today.

Like before, thoughts of Lucien plagued my mind. The things he said, the things he did. The way he made me feel things no one else did.

And then I cried.

I never expected to have a mate like Lucien. Someone who I'm not supposed to be with. Someone who kills and feels no remorse. Someone who is everyone's enemy. Someone who hates mixed breeds.

And yet here I am.

Stuck in the middle of everything. Stuck between choosing even though I'm not ready. But at some point I'll have to choose. And maybe, just maybe I'll choose Lucien in the end.

Because Zade wasn't worth it.

But my mother wouldn't mind. I hoped. She had always told me that everything happens for a reason. This had happened for a reason.

The daughter of the King of werewolves mated to the Dark Alpha everyone so desperately wants to kill. And if─if I'm by his side... Would they want to kill me too?

I shoved the rose scented pillow in my face. Everything was such a mess. I didn't want to live here. And if I stayed by Lucien...

Why? Why? Why?

So many decisions. So many choices. So many mistakes.

Breathe. And so I did until my breaths were even and my mind wasn't swirling anymore.

Maybe─maybe I needed to leave. Maybe I should have stayed with Lucien. Maybe it was a mistake coming back here. Because from tomorrow I'll have escorts or bodyguards. I won't be able to leave this world and I won't be able to see Lucien.

A stab in the heart is what it feels like to be away from Lucien. I wondered if he felt the same. Wondered if he laid in bed, restless right now.

And so I decided to do something I'll probably regret later. But I didn't care. Not right now. In this very moment, it just felt... right.

I shoved my bed sheets aside and searched for my coat and boots. It was midnight and freezing cold outside since winter was just around the corner. Once my coat and boots were on. Underneath the coat I had a shirt and pants I had changed into earlier.

There was no way leaving through the front door, so I jumped out the window. I didn't want to shift because it would draw too much attention. Not to mention that when I shift back to my human form I'd be naked. Most probably in front of the guards. Or Lucien.

Who would most probably kill the guards for looking at me naked.

My feet stung from the impact of jumping down onto the ground and I glady embraced the pain. I started to walk, then jog until I was eventually running into the forest leading to the clearing.

Once I reached there, I was panting but not tired. Lucien's pack lands was far from here. In my wolf form I would cover more distance. But I couldn't shift. Not now.

The cold breeze had my teeth chattering. Although we produced a higher body temperature than humans, we still shivered. Or maybe it was just me.

I glanced at the way I'd come and then... I didn't know where to look. I didn't know which direction Lucien's pack lands were. I forgot how I'd even left there and knew the way back to Zade's pack lands.

It was only then I realized that Lucien's pack lands were hidden. Hidden from everyone. And something must have glamoured myself to forget where exactly it was. All I remember were rocks with moss on it, the forest and I remembered that to my left were mountains with snow.

Now, the snowy mountains were on my right, which meant the Lucien's pack was straight ahead. I hoped.

Just as my confidence invaded my mind, clearing every single doubt I had, the wind howled and blew harshly, carrying an unfamiliar scent along with it. I wasn't alone.

I was never alone by the portal. There was always someone watching me.

I shuddered when I felt a pair of eyes on me, and I didn't dare turn around to see what it was or who it was behind me.

I inhaled deeply. The scent was musky and smelt like the forest.

A hand placed itself on my shoulder and I fought the urge to jump or back away. I turned my head slightly, thinking I'd have a better view of who was behind me. Wrong. The figure was large and wore a cloak with a hood that covered it's face. The moon that produced a little light wasn't enough to make out it's face clearly.

"Who are you?" I asked, not giving away a hint of my fear.

The figure didn't reply, instead it pulled out something from behind. A cloth.

No, no, no. Not again.

I jerked back, but it's grip on my shoulder increased. If he or she squeezed any harder my bone would have snapped.

"Shhh." The feminine voice hushed. And then shoved the cloth in my face despite my attempt to thrash, kick, claw or bite.

The smell of wolfsbane entered my system and all I remembered was the person dropping her hood and revealing her blond hair, and then...

Darkness.