chapter 2 - exchanges

Addison had memorized the steps of wedding ceremonies a long time ago. It started with the processional and the officiant's words of welcome to the guests. Then continued on with the introduction with some comment on the couples love story followed by officiant addressing the couple and talking about the responsibility of marriage and the exchanging of vows. After that there is the ring exchange, which Addison had a part in since she had one of them for safety keeping, Taylor had the other. Following that is the kiss and then the "ending" of the ceremony.

As she walked down the aisle with the rest of the wedding party she felt a sense of unsettling nostalgia. The high ceiling and tall windows in the church towered over her and made her feel small. At least this time she wasn't walking down to her own embarrassment.

Addison reached her place which was the closest to her brother and turned to face the rest of the guests. James and Selena had met during the voice acting of Hotel Transylvania and bonded over their shared love for Lord of The Rings. So she wasn't surprised as the bridal processional music was inspired by that, fucking nerds.

During the vows she was looking around the room during the vows. She could probably recite them herself, or at least her brothers, since he'd practically begged her until she helped him put words to his thoughts.

Her eyes met Taylors ocean blue ones for a split second. Had she been watching her? 'Is there something wrong with my hair? Do I accidentally have lipstick on my teeth?' Her thoughts immediately began to run. Addison bit the inside of her cheek, she probably looked ridiculous.

_

The after party was a much more enjoyable experience for the oldest Clarke sibling. Maybe it was the glass of white wine in her hand, or it was the fact that her own failed wedding never got to this stage.

She sat at a table with the rest of the wedding party which consisted of herself, a few of her brother's friends, a bubbly bunch of Selena's friends and a certain blonde singer seated next to her.

If her sister was here they'd probably make fun of how their mother had cried during the ceremony, not mentioning their own tears that fell. Or gossiping about their cousin Stella who was currently nursing a whole bottle for herself. But since she was with a group of adults she wasn't really familiar with she had resorted to being quiet or a few words here and there.

Around 10 pm most of the table had moved over to the dance floor that her brother unironically wanted or to the open bar. She however stayed at the table sipping her wine. Then she suddenly remembered that she had forgotten to do the day's New York Times games. Her sister could call her a nerd how many times she wanted, Addison still did them every day religiously.

She pulled out her phone and had just completed the Wordle when Taylor came back to the table with a glass of wine.

"Oh my god, you also do those?" The singer asked with enthusiasm in her voice.

Addison's gaze shifted from her phone to the blonde who sat down on the chair beside her. "Yes, everyday"

"Me too, I feel they just keep the brain going" Taylor responded. "Is it weird that I feel bad that we've been sitting next to each other all evening and haven't spoken a word?"

"Perhaps a little, I mean you have no obligation to talk to me so you shouldn't feel bad" Addison took a sip of her wine.

"Well I do either way. You're James' sister right, Addison?"

"Yes" The slightly shorter blonde nodded. "And you're Taylor Swift"

A chuckle escaped the singer's lips. "Yes, I am Taylor Swift. So I can assume you know some stuff about me since you know who I am."

"I guess you can assume that," Addison shrugged lightly. "Though my knowledge is limited to that you're a singer-songwriter who was born in 1989 that has written awesome music for a while and is apparently good enough friends with Selena to be her maid of honor."

"That is a lot more than I know about you, tell me about yourself" Taylor insisted as she took a sip of wine.

"I'm not that interesting to be completely honest. My name is Addison Clarke, I am 32 years old. I work as an english teacher, oh! And I have a cat named Athena."

"I also have a cat, well more like three" She remarked.

"Really? What are their names?" The English teacher asked, now intrigued.

"My oldest is named Meredith, the middle one is Olivia and my youngest is Benjamin or Benji"

"That is so cute! I love cats. I could never have three, I am already struggling to give enough attention to my one according to her." Addison chuckled. "Anytime I just lay down on the couch for a second she'll come over to get my attention. And if I don't give it to her she'll stand on a boob and press down her whole body weight."

That made Taylor laugh, "Oh my god! Mine do that too, it hurts so much!"

The two women sat and talked for several hours until it became apparent that the guests were supposed to leave.

"Before I forget, let me give you my number" The singer said as they stood up to leave.

Addison unlocked her phone and handed it to Taylor.

Once she got it back the singer had added herself as a contact named "Taylor😻".

"Goodnight, just text me whenever" The taller blonde said as she pulled in the shorter one for a hug.

"Goodnight, I will," Addison said as she hugged Taylor.