The Field Guide for Eventyr

MAP

GLOSSARY

GLOSSARY

Skulk - A group of foxes; in this world, one of three fox kingdoms.

Tod - A male fox.

Vixen - A female fox.

Kit - A juvenile fox.

Fjord - A valley with high, cliff-like walls where the sea travels inland. (Pronounced: Fyord)

No Fox Land - Mountainous terrain that holds the center of Eventyr; it is mostly uninhabitable to foxes, and free from conflict.

FLAME SKULK

Summary:

The foxes of the Flame Skulk support a strong-willed patriarchy, with crude and violent laws that have persisted since their dawn. They have paved the way for a hate-filled society focused only on the destruction of weakness. The terrain they inhabit is mostly grassland, and their fur gives honor to their namesake in hues of orange and red.

Terminology:

Flameborn - Those belonging to the Flame Skulk.

Jarl - A title of royalty; the Flameborn ruler. (Pronounced: yarl)

Kriger - A title of royalty; the heir; a name only given when he becomes a mighty warrior. (Pronounced: kree-ger)

Muspell - The capital of the Flame Skulk where the Jarl resides. (Pronounced: Moo-spell)

Foxes of Importance:

Colborn - Protagonist. The current Kriger, having already passed all but one of the trials on his way to rulership. It's a role he isn't sure he wants. (Pronounced: Coal-bern)

Jakob - Born as a runt and Colborn's only surviving littermate. He's a kind and innocent tod, unprepared for the hateful world he lives in. (Pronounced: Yah-kub)

Jarl - Real name unknown. Colborn's father and current, cruel and power-hungry leader of the Flameborn.

Brandr - Colborn's second in command and a prominent leader in the Flameborn army. (Pronounced: Brand-er)

SHADOW SKULK

Summary:

The foxes of the Shadow Skulk contrast the former with a rigid matriarchy. Each queen rules with icy claws and absolute control over her children, along with the bearing of their future offspring. The terrain they inhabit is icy tundra, in close proximity to the Flameborn, and their coats range from white to pale shades of blue-ish gray and tan. All you'll see of these cunning foxes' are their shadows against the snow.