16 | Consequences

Skadi stepped up timidly before the three judging foxes. The elders, as Tree had called them, though the clay-furred one in the middle didn't look all that elderly.

She listened to Tree mutter through an attempt at an introduction, his words trembling with nervousness.

"Who is this, Trygve?" the vixen growled.

"She's a f-friend," he stuttered. "Look, Beste, I promise I have a reason!"

The one she guessed was his grandmother ignored the plea. "To bring a Shadowborn here? What reason could possibly excuse this?"

Tree pawed at the ground. He couldn't look her in the eyes. "She saved me," he whispered. "On the border..." His voice trailed, barely audible.

Skadi's stomach swirled with second-paw regret, for letting Kleng force her into this, and for thinking Tree could take the lead. The fox had zero tact or strategy.

"The border?" she echoed, her voice flat and disbelieving. "Why were you at the border? Is that why you missed the past two Gatherings?"

Tree's eyes flicked to the middle fox, but before he could speak, the clay-furred tod coyly ducked his head. "I hate to interrupt this personal matter, Har." Skadi recognized the feigned respect dripping through his tone, sort of like when she spoke to the queen. He covered it up well with a sly smile. "But I'm afraid that treason is a charge we take very seriously." His nose pointed to Tree and Skadi, while his shoulders stiffened in a shrug. "And so is trespassing."

Har nodded. Her grandkit's jaw gaped and his legs trembled. "Beste, you can't let––"

"I'm not letting anything happen," she said sternly. "There are consequences to your actions, ones I cannot prevent. We will hear what your friend has to say, how she 'saved' you, but I will be impartial. Your punishment is beyond my control."

Skadi watched Tree back away, shaking his muzzle. He glanced around the clearing, almost as if he were looking for a way out. She wouldn't let him run away now. Maybe she could still salvage some of her plan.

"Wait!" Skadi shouted, instinctively cowering as the word left her muzzle. She wasn't used to raising her voice to authority, nor did she know if that was okay here. "May I speak?"

The elders' eyes drifted to her, but they weren't sharp and judging. Not like the other foxes in the clearing. The older tod nodded. "Say your piece, Shadowborn."

"Thank you." Skadi cleared her throat. "Trygve is being modest. Sure, I helped him on the cliffside, but he wanted to help me too. We made an agreement..." She glanced at Tree knowingly, hoping he'd get the hint. He gave a tiny nod.

"I left my skulk behind," she explained, or rather, twisted the truth. "I have no home now, because I couldn't handle the mistreatment. Because of my"––she rolled her tongue around in her mouth––"disability. But I'm willing to offer everything I know about my skulk to help yours. The Shadowborn plan on coming here very soon." Her tone grew grave and dramatic, and now, she turned to face the crowd. "I was very close to the strategist. I know things. They want to destroy your home and force you to fight."

Skadi's muzzle drifted back to Har. "I can help you stop it."

There was an eerie silence that filled the afternoon air. The clay-furred tod in the middle was the first to speak. "How can we trust you?" he asked firmly. "What if you're actually the spy, here to help your own skulk?"

She felt every gaze in the clearing land on her, an icy chill running down her back. Skadi was prepared for this question, and she'd already deadened her nerves to the fear of being found out. "I have no way to prove myself here and now. But the Shadow Skulk is planning an ambush in a week, on the border. Believe me, or let them attack."

The foxes before her exchanged glances. Tree's own gaze landed on her, wide and excited.

"Perhaps it would be prudent to prepare?" The older tod asked.

Har only scowled. "I don't know about this, Jafenhar." She looked longingly toward her grandkit. "I want my foxes to have no part in any fight. I still want to speak to the Shadow Queen––before any rash decisions are made. Is there any way you could arrange a meeting?"

It took Skadi a moment to realize the question was for her, and she quickly shook her head. There was no way that the queen would ever go for that, not when this cruel and brilliant plan was now laid out for her. If Skadi failed to deliver, it would be the last failure she ever made. "I am no longer welcome in Shadow territory," she said, dropping her head even lower. "I'm sorry. Though the queen isn't one for treaties. Peace will only be pried from her cold, dead paws."

"That settles it then," the clay-furred tod chimed decisively. "War it is. Thank you, Trygve, and your little friend. I trust your judgment, and your choice in companionship. As for your grandmother..." He tsked and curled his lip in a mocking pout. "She can stick to her stupid peaceful ways. I've been training my foxen for months now. They're ready to fight, and if the rest of this stubborn skulk wants to survive, they better start learning too."

Skadi was taken aback by the sudden faith in her words, the way her harebrained plan had worked so flawlessly.

"Thridi, that is not your decision––" Har started to say, but he cut her off with a bark.

"It's my territory, and I will do what it takes to survive," he snapped. "As an extra precaution, Trygve here will stick extra close to Skadi. And if there's any signs that she plans on betraying me, I will personally kill her." Her eyes met Skadi's with a flash of menace. She knew he meant it.

Before Har could attempt to patch the situation, Thridi was gone. He trotted away from the clearing, giving only a wink to Tree as he left.

The regret in his muzzle was clear and cut. He tried to approach his grandmother, tail nearly dragging on the ground. "Beste?" he said, watching her jump down from her rock. She called to the crowd that they were all dismissed, since any semblance of order was already gone.

She turned to the tod. Her voice cracked with disappointment, perhaps on the verge of tears. "You're being incredibly irresponsible, Tree. Meddling in this war." She took a deep breath as she passed them both. "I don't know what you're trying to accomplish, but I hope you realize the consequences of your actions."

He couldn't find the words he wanted to say before she walked away, and soon the two of them were the only ones left in the clearing.

Skadi's belly fluttered with anxiety, but she pushed it down. This was only the beginning. If she couldn't stomach a tiny lie, then she might as well give up now.