Epilogue

Vivid colors streaked through the sky: violet, green, yellow and red. It was a sight Runa hoped she would never see. Especially when she sent Colborn off to stop it––the fighting, the war. The inescapable fate that now awaited them.

She cursed to herself. The threads of fate had led her astray. Perhaps she'd intervened too much, or maybe or not enough. Colborn had been too late. The three strangers hadn't met in time, their secrets took too long to unravel, and the key hadn't worked. There would be no peace.

Now the bridge between the sky and the earth was open once more. They all would die. But there was one final hope. A piece to the story that she hadn't breathed to Colborn, hoping it would never come to be.

She ran back to her den, passing through the tunnel to find her kits resting easy. She nudged them all awake, her breath held deep in her chest. Still none had opened their eyes, all but the smallest female.

With a tiny yawn, she blinked sleepily at her mother. Glowing yellow eyes stared up at her, wide and curious. Innocent to the fate she'd just awoken to.

Runa swallowed the lump of air in her throat. The last of the gifts belonged to her own daughter, fitting for The Keeper of Secrets––she was the last vixen to ever be born from the lost bloodline. She was responsible for keeping the tale of Litlirefur alive and protected. For one day finding and helping those destined to prevent the wrath of the sky from ever falling upon them.

She'd failed.

It was up to her kit now. To grow up strong and fearless. To learn to use her powers well. Because only when the four gifts of Stjernestov came together, would they be able to stop the coming darkness.

–❈–

THE END

–❈–

Total Word Count: 38,660