two

Richard Gilmore was a man of his word

Richard Gilmore was a man of his word. So when he said he would murder Matthew when he saw him, he meant it. Emily had to practically fight him to get him to calm down once he had heard of his son-in-law's infidelity. How could he? The boy he picked himself for his daughter, the boy that grew into a fine young man, perfectly suited for Sarah. How could he do such a thing as sleep with his secretary.

But professors don't have secretary's, he said to Emily when she told him what had happened. And yes, that is correct. But Matthew decided to hire his own secretary  in the form of one of his students; whom he paid with sex, and extra credit.

It disgusted Richard that he would do such a thing. If he couldn't murder him, he would ruin his career. And that he did. He got in touch with Matthew's bos,  and he was sacked the same day. He needed some way to feel useful  and helpful. Even if Sarah never knew about it, Richard knew that he had caused that man the same amount of pain that he caused Sarah.

Two months have passed since Sarah moved back home, and they managed to find some sort of routine. Emily turned one of the bedrooms into an art studio for Sarah to work in during the day, not that she had much inspiration lately.

~

They sit at the dining room table, in silence. Much like one of the Friday night dinners with Lorelai, not much conversation is shared.

"So, my girl, working on any new pieces at the moment?" Richard asks,  and Sarah shakes her head, pushing her food around her plate. Richard shoots Emily a pleading look. Their baby girl, whom they are both very close with, has become a shell of herself. She is visibly pregnant now, five months alone,  and she is hardly eating when they eat together, or she is too tired to even join them at all.

"Sarah, try the potatoe,s" Emily says, passing the bowl over to her daughter and smiling softly.

"Thanks, I'll have a little,  but I'm not that hungry," she says quietly, and Richard slams his fist on the table, making her jump.

"For goodness sake, Sarah! You will eat, your mother spends hours organising our meals for the week and you barely touch them. You are being selfish. You are acting like Lorelai, and I will not stand for it! Not in my house." He says, standing.

"Excuse me, Emily, I seem to have lost my appetite," Richard says in a much calmer tone as he leaves the room.

Emily sighs, looking up at her daughter, who is fighting back her tears. She slides her hand across the table and takes the younger woman, squeezing it gently.

"He doesn't mean to shout," Emily says. "We're just worried about you. You're pregnant, and you're barely eating a thing, Sarah."

"I'm not hungry," she says sadly. "I try. It makes me feel awful that I can't eat these amazing dinners, for which I am very grateful, but I just can't stomach it," Sarah sighs.

"Maybe we should see a doctor, I know you've told me you made your own appointments, but I would rather you see my OB. She is a lovely woman, she delivered you and your sister" Emily smiles. "I'll make you an appointment for the morning."

And with that, they ate the rest of their meal in silence, just the two of them.