seven

"Yoo Hoo," Lorelai shouts as she opens the door to her parents' house

"Yoo Hoo," Lorelai shouts as she opens the door to her parents' house. It is freezing, and if she has to wait outside for even another second, she fears she might die of frostbite. "It's warm in here," she says to Rory as they remove their coats. They kick the snow off their boots and wander through the house.

"Where is my mother?" Lorelai says out loud as they walk into the living room. It is unlike Emily to not come straight to the door or to send a maid to answer it. "Something's going on," Lorelai muses.

"Maybe she's having a nap?" Rory suggests, and Lorelai laughs.

"Lorelai, look at this mess," Emily sighs, sneaking up behind them and making them jump as she examines the snow they've trailed in.

"Hello, mother," Lorelai smiles.

"Honestly, you're a grown woman. You can clean up after yourself, can't you?"

"Actually, Grandma, she can't," Rory says, hugging her grandmother.

"Mom, why is the house so quiet?" Lorelai asks, concerned.

"It is Christmas," Emily smiles.

"So...?"

"I gave the staff the week off," she says, ushering the girls into the lounge. Lorelai gasps as she stares at the giant christmas tree in the corner of the room.

"Who are you, and what have you done with my mother?" she asks, sniffing the air. "And who is cooking?"

"That would be your sister," Emily smiles proudly. "Your father is trying to help, too."

"Mom, she's two weeks overdue, I don't think you should be letting her cook a full christmas dinner," Lorelai says, removing her hat and heading into the kitchen. "Hi," she says, embracing her sister. "Can I help?"

"Can you carry some of this to the dining room?" she asks, a big smile on her face.

"Sure," Lorelai says, grabbing a tray of vegetables and heading to the dining room. She gasps, the table is lit by only candles, and the house looks magical. "Mom, you've really outdone yourself this year," she says, and Emily walks into the room, carrying more food.

"It was your sister," She tells her, smiling as she places the food on the table.

"Who wants Turkey?" Richard asks as he carries in a giant turkey, placing it in the centre of the table.

"It smells divine," Rory says, taking a seat.

Emily disappears and comes back with a bottle of wine. "Lorelai?" she asks, and the eldest daughter nods, holding her glass up as it is filled.

"This all looks so amazing, Sarah, thank you," Lorelai says as her sister finally walks into the room, exhausted from cooking all day.

"Thank you," Sarah smiles. "I wanted a nice family Christmas for once."