eight

*** 7 pm ***

*** 7 pm ***

"I think my water just broke."

The words ring through Emily's head, and for a moment, she is paralysed, holding Sarah in her arms.

"Mom," Sarah says, the pain rippling through her. "Mom!"

"Sorry," Emily says, snapping out of her thoughts and helping her daughter to her feet. "How are you feeling?" she asks as Sarah's face softens.

"That contraction has stopped," she says, standing straight and taking a deep breath. "I'd like to have a shower– get changed and get myself organised." She says, and Emily nods.

"I'll go and find your father," She says, watching her heavily pregnant daughter walk slowly up the stairs. This is it. She is about to become a grandmother for the second time. Though it feels like the first time, given how little she was in Rory's life when she was a baby– thanks to Lorelai.

"Richard," Emily says, pushing open the study door. He is asleep at his desk, mouth agape and glasses on the tip of his nose. "Richard," she says louder this time, shaking her husband awake.

"W-what?" he asks, looking at Emily. "I was resting my eyes."

"Mhm, I don't care about that," she says seriously. "Sarah's waters broke. It's time."

"Really?" he asks, standing and looking at his watch. "Shall I get the car ready?" Emily shakes her head, sitting down in the seat opposite her husband.

"She's having a shower. We have some time."

"What's going through your head right now?" Richard asks his wife, sitting down and removing his glasses. "You look sad."

"It just made me think of when Lorelai went into labour," she smiles sadly. "I wish things had been different."

"I know, we all do," Richard sighs. "We have them in our lives again now, though."

"I know," Emily says. "But we missed so much. I can't stop thinking about that damn letter.

Dear Mom and Dad, I am in labour.

See you later.

Lorelai. I mean, what was she thinking?"

"Emily, there is really no need to dwell on the past right now, Sarah needs you, Sarah wants you." He smiles. "I will organise a car, and I think you should go upstairs and see what you can do to help. Make sure she has her birthing bag ready," he suggests.

"You're right," she smiles, standing up and heading to the door. "A car? Richard, it's christmas, all the staff are off for the week."

"But I think I might have had a little too much wine," He says, and Emily rolls her eyes. "Fine, call a car."