Chapter 22 | Dealing with first hand embarrassment

"Are you fucking kidding me, Sam? Seriously?" I ask with anger as I throw my bag far away

Sam staggers a little, completely unaccustomed to my newly acquired wrath.

Never once have I blown up the way I did now. No matter how bad I felt.

I quickly realise that I'm being too impetuous so I take deep breaths to calm myself down.

Don't be too dramatic. It was a genuine mistake. Don't fuss over it.

I keep saying this to myself and bring my breathing under control.

"I'm so sorry sweetie...I never meant for it to just come out like that" Sam says and rubs my shoulder comfortingly.

Anne just looks at us, especially me, with scrutinizing eyes.

"It's fine" I mumble but for some weird reason, the first-hand embarrassment and the anger that followed is refusing to die down.

The car ride back home was extremely awkward. We were all incredibly silent after Sam had accidentally revealed her made-up name for Matt. Matt made it seem like it didn't affect him but I'm beyond embarrassed.

He's going to think I'm having a hopeless crush on him.

Isn't that just great?

I'm definitely making it a bigger deal than it actually is but I feel like I want to do something drastic. I want to erase today, forget everything about it, cover myself with the thickest blanket, and hide away forever.

A mad rush of emotions wreaks havoc in my mind. Anger, sadness, loneliness, embarrassment, vulnerability, and funnily enough, betrayal make the mixture of turmoil within my already messed up brain.

I suddenly feel today's exhaustion catch up to me. My eyes feel heavy, my throat has a throbbing sensation, my brain feels fuzzy, my legs feel sore and I just want to sleep and forget all about today.

"Sasha, are you okay?" Sam asks as she brings the backside of her palm to touch my forehead and immediately gasps.

"She's burning up" Sam announces and looks at me with concern.

"I think I need to go to bed...I'm really tired" I say and pretend a yawn.

"You need to do more than just sleep, Sasha...You're sick. You need meds and fluids" Anne says while touching my forehead and neck to check for the fever.

"Anne, I'm fine....I can take care of myself" I say, my voice unintentionally going up a few notches.

"Sasha, don't be ridiculous. We're gonna stay and help you out. I'm not just going to leave my best friend like that" Anne says and my already existing anger is reaching a breaking point.

"Anne... Please leave. I want to be alone." I say with finality.

"But—"

"I can take care of myself. I'm not a little kid anymore."