Vol. Special

Poorman Apartments

"Okay, everyone! I'm off to work," Filia announced to her friends.

Leviathan looked over to Filia as Squigly was preparing coffee. "It's that time already?" He questioned before looking at the clock on the microwave. "Well, I'll be, it is. Have a good day, Miss Filia."

Squigly poured fresh coffee into a to-go cup and added four sugars and vanilla creamer, exactly how Filia liked it. "Stay safe," she handed her the cup.

Gwen: Later, F! | Ryūko: Be seein' ya. | Ruby: See you soon!

"Bye, guys!"

"Bye, Gwen!" Samson waved.

Gwen waved back with a cute smirk.

The Player was the only one who didn't respond. He was sitting on the couch and was clearly zoned out, staring blankly at nothing in particular.

Filia marched over to the Player and leaned down to him. "BYE!" She exclaimed in his ear, making him jump.

"Bwah! What the heck?!"

Seeing his face made Filia smile as if she didn't just scare him, hinting at her satisfaction with the outcome. "I'm off to work, spaceman. Want to come down to earth so you can say bye?"

"Oh, right. My bad. Have a good day, Filia."

"Thanks. You as well."

The Player got up and walked Filia to the door, opening it for her to let her out. They didn't depart without their hug, and once it was done, Filia left.

The Player returned to the living room and sat on the couch.

Squigly came into the room with a cup of coffee for the Player and sat it on the table before sitting next to him.

"You okay?" She asked.

"Huh?"

"You were zoning out pretty hard with Filia, I was just checking to see if you were okay."

"Yeah, I'm good. I guess I'm just lost in thought about stuff."

Ruby was slowly inching her hand for the coffee on the table, trying her hand at stealth to snag the cup, but Leviathan gave her hand a gentle pop to prevent her from stealing the coffee.

"What's on your mind?" Ryūko asked.

"This whole universe hopping thing we got going on, when I sit back and think about it, is like... Wow. You were really brought here from three different worlds."

"Aah, I getcha. Yeah. It's pretty insane. To be honest, I still can't believe it either."

"I can," Gwen said before popping a grape in her mouth.

The Player gave a flat smile to Gwen's indifference. "Right. Everyone except Gwen, the special snowflake who got to jump universes before."

"Don't hate," she teased before eating another grape.

"Pfft!" The Player flagged his hand at her as a playful gesture before turning his attention to the others. "And I know the situation is urgent, but meeting you three has been a really nice experience. It's crazy how fast we became friends, and I wouldn't trade you for anything, but... What if there's more to this meeting than us?"

The girls looked among each other, all similarly perplexed.

"What do you mean?" Leviathan asked.

"Like... What if it isn't just them? What if more people from their world came over as well?"