Chapter 12

Heiner's back was facing the moon so his expression in the shadow was difficult to see.

For some reason, Annette's legs weakened as soon as she heard his voice.

Heiner grabbed a firm hold of her arms as she staggered. Once she gained her balance, he led her ashore.

Annette stood on the sand and looked up at Heiner cautiously.

In the moonlight, his face was shadowed by the high bridge of his nose. His figure was pale and beautiful, like a perfect statue.

His jaw tightened as he met Annette's gaze. His gray eyes sank a layer as if they were sinking.

Annette murmured.

"You're late. I thought you'd come to get me sooner."

"Put on your shoes and pack your things. Now."

Heiner ordered, looking completely adamant. With a small nod, Annette tried to carry her feet but stopped. She felt pain from her foot.

She had accidentally stepped on something and blood was oozing out. Annette wondered if she should ask him to bring her shoes. It was hard to open her mouth casually, even though it was not a big request.

Heiner, who was watching her, sighed somewhat agitatedly.

"Just stand there."

He walked over to where her luggage was and picked up her shoes and a paper bag. Annette inadvertently accepted the paper bag held out in front of her.

The next thing she knew, her body suddenly lifted.

Annette let out a short scream and grabbed Heiner's coat. Heiner's one hand was supporting her back and one under her knees with her shoes dangled from his fingers.

"I'll walk...!"

Annette exclaimed in panic, but he did not answer. The hem of her dress, which had gotten wet in seawater, soaked Heiner's clothes.

"It's not like I can't walk. Put me down, Heiner."

Annette said repeatedly, but he didn't even pretend to hear her. She eventually gave up and relaxed her body.

Heiner hurried off the beach, holding Annette and her shoes. The cold sea breeze slowly dried the water.

They arrived at a nearby hotel. Even when they were at the hotel entrance, Heiner did not seem inclined to let her down. Annette twisted her body slightly and tried to escape.

"You really need to let me down. I'll put on my shoes............."

"Hold still."

He cut Annette off in a gloomy voice.

Heiner's mood seemed very low. Annette wondered as she looked at his neck, where the faint veins stood taut.

'Did I run away and make him angry............ Why?'

She didn't expect him to be angry. She thought Heiner would send his attendants to catch her, give her a few words of warning, and lock her in her room.

'This time I might end up in a mental hospital.'

While Annette was nonchalantly foreseeing the future, Heiner strode into the hotel.

When they came under the bright lights, Annette buried her face in his chest. She was afraid that someone would recognize her.

Heiner's unique body scent became thicker. Annette remained still with her nose in his chest. She could feel his body faintly stiffening.