Chapter 23

(Trigger Warning: Self Harm and S******)

Excluding the circumstances before and after, Annette was a victim, at least in this case. She had every right to forgive the sinner.

But Heiner still looked uncomprehending. He said in a tone of exasperation,

"Are you going to be a saint?"

At that, Annette laughed softly.

"You know I can't do that."

It was funny. Because if you had to name the least qualified woman to be a saint in Padania, it would definitely be her.

"Catherine didn't ask me for leniency. I just made my own decision. And ......."

Annette stopped speaking at the gaze she suddenly felt. Their eyes met, with a small smile still on her face.

The air ceased to flow. Heiner continued to stare, not looking away. After a few moments of silence, he muttered with a somber expression.

"... It's been a long time since I've seen you smile like that." (H)

In a flash, the smile disappeared from Annette's face. She unconsciously raised her hand to cover her mouth. Their eyes met again.

Annette slowly lowered her hand. A quiet voice flowed through the room.

"I'm sorry." (A)

"...."

"I don't resent you." (A)

"I don't know what you're talking about." (H)

Annette tried to smile at him again, but for some reason it didn't work the way she wanted it to.

"It's just everything......" (A)

"..."

"I'm sorry, Heiner. For everything, even what I don't know." (A)

Annette spoke with the utmost candor, but was not at all upset about her heart or the words she uttered.

She was calm as if she was telling the truth. It was as if she was a person who had exhausted even the least amount of emotion she could show.

It was rather Heiner who was upset. His jaw tightened. Heiner gently clenched his back teeth and chuckled.

"Do you know what you should apologize for?"

Annette didn't answer. She didn't know exactly what answer to give.

She knew that Heiner hated her, but she didn't know if it was just because she was the marquis' daughter or if it was because of some other personal grudges.

Seeing Annette unable to answer, Heiner laughed, half mockingly and half bitterly.

"Just don't apologize to me for the rest of your life." His voice cracked slightly. "Because it's better that way."

Annette bit her lips tightly. She was speechless, as if she had swallowed poison that robbed her of her voice. After several attempts, she barely whispered.

"...... okay."

***

Annette thought as she poured water into the tub. The reason Heiner didn't want a divorce was that he still wanted revenge.

When one strives through life for a single goal, one often loses his way. They will mistakenly believe that that goal is what they really want.

Such people always realize this only after they have come a long way. That is actually not what they really want.