Chapter 20

The next morning, Heiner visited Annette's room with the newly hired attending physician. The doctor, who appeared to be in her mid-40s, had a very kind smile on her face.

"Hello, madam, I'm Mila Lauren. I studied family medicine at Verden University and have been a specialist at Lancaster Cross Hospital for 12 years. I promise to do my best."

"Uh, yes. I'm Annette......."

It felt strange somehow to put Heiner's last name after her name. Annette hesitated for a moment, then added.

" ...... Valdemar. I look forward to working with you."

At that momentary interval, Heiner's strange gaze touched her and then fell away. Annette folded and averted her eyes.

Mila Lauren, not noticing this, simply smiled softly and continued.

"I have been informed of your previous situation. I will take special care to ensure that no drug abuse or overdose occurs. By the way, madam, I heard that you received psychological counseling while you were in the hospital."

"Yes, just a few times."

"I'm not sure about that one, so why don't you try to get a separate counselor?"

"If you wish, I can call the same counselor that we have at Lutheran Hospital."

Suddenly, Heiner interrupted. Annette's brow furrowed slightly in discomfort.

She didn't want them to think she had mental problems.

The same was true even if it was just a consultation. Socially, it was never considered a good idea to seek psychological counseling.

The perception of it was better than in the past, but it was still the same among the close minded aristocrats.

A history of mental illness could bar a person from marriage.

This was a very important issue since the nobles were usually married for political reasons.

Annette was a rare case of a love marriage, but the thinking of the privileged class was embodied in the same way.

Even now that the aristocracy had fallen, the thinking that was etched into the marrow of their bones could not be easily erased.

"I don't need a consultation."

"Oh, madam. There's nothing to be wary of."

Mila Lauren, who had once taken on the role of attending physician to an aristocratic family, noticed Annette's reluctance.

"A simple psychological consultation is almost mandatory in children's schools these days."

"No, I really don't need it."

In fact, it was ridiculous to worry about reputation now. Adding at least one more rumor of mental illness to an already rock-bottom reputation was not going to change anything.

But Annette still didn't like it. She hated seeing people pretending to be concerned about her miscarriage, and she hated the mention of it in the first place.

She wanted to live as if nothing had happened. As if the child had never existed in the first place. And most of all...

"I could lock you up in a mental hospital for the rest of your life if you continue to go against my will like this."

Lately, Annette had sometimes wondered.

Perhaps she had really gone mad.

At one point or another, she felt as if her mind was floating. It was as if she was standing on the borderline between reality and dreams.