Chapter 9

"I'm glad you enjoyed it!" Mary exclaimed, proud of her work. She was becoming eager to try her hot cocoa herself, to see if the boy was being honest. Mary, seated at the table with her cup of hot cocoa, took a sip and closed her eyes in delight. This has got to be my best one yet! she thought to herself. Samuel was right! This is delicious! It took Mary a few seconds before she was able to open her eyes after that wonderful taste. When she did, however, she looked up into the eyes of the boy and saw that he was nearly crying. What had she done wrong? she wondered.

"Are you alright?" Mary asked. "I didn't mean to make you cry."

It took the boy a minute before he could respond.

"I wi-wi-wish."  he stumbled.  "I -I - I never had a ma. She left my Pa and I when I was very young. I don't even know what she looked like." Samuel sniffed and looked down, and then back up at Mary again.

Mary couldn't help feeling bad for the boy. I thought I had everything go wrong, but he didn't even see his Ma at all.

Samuel continued to say, "And my Pa could never stay together. He drank lots, and went from job to job. He couldn't afford to take care of me. So I left. I was mad, so I left him, and he never came looking for me."

"How do you know?" Mary asked.

"I just do." He paused, then realized that Mary would need more than that. An explanation. "He wasn't the type of man who would. He was afraid of the world."

"Afraid of the world?"

"Yes, that's what I said. Or should I say he was afraid of the people. What they would think of him. He didn't want to know. So he never went out anymore. He stopped trying to get jobs. He just gave up. That's how I know."

"People can change."

"Not him."

They both were quiet for what seemed like years, until Mary's father came into the kitchen. He doesn't seem too happy, thought Mary. Uh -oh.

"Mary.... I asked you to do your chores- not drink hot cocoa!" he said, clearly trying not to lose his temper.

"I know Pa, I just thought it would be a good idea-"

"Well next time ask - especially lately.-"

"Yes Pa."

"Is it any good?" Mary's father asked.

"Is what good?" Mary questioned in return, confused at what her father was asking.

"The hot cocoa."

Then Samuel answered for Mary.

"No, it's not good..."

There was a slight pause and Mary held her breath, nervous that Samuel would say it's terrible. Then Samuel continued.

"It's fantastic! The best. You should have some, sir."

"I think I'm okay, but thanks, Samuel."

"Please, Pa?" Mary asked, trying her best to make puppy eyes.

"Okay."

Shortly after, Mary had a new cup of hot cocoa ready for her father. She set it in front of him and sat down herself. Mary's father took a sip, and then looked at Mary.

"This is incredible! It reminds me of your ma's hot cocoa."

Mary was quiet as she took in what her father had said. This is the best compliment I have ever gotten! she thought.

"Should we do some of your chores now, Mary?'' interrupted Samuel.

"Yes, I suppose."

Mary and Samuel stood up and walked out of the room, leaving Mary's father alone in the kitchen. Just as she was about to go to the back of the store with Samuel to check if anything else needed to be brought in from out back, she thought she heard her father say thanks, and she smiled. He appreciated her work, and she was happy.  Maybe having Samuel around won't be so bad. After all, everything seems to be going well, she thought. Her father was happy. Samuel was happy. She was happy. Everything was good. But good things don't last forever.