Chapter 14

Samuel was fast asleep, however Mary couldn't stop her brain from thinking. Not only about her time with Samuel and how she had made her happy when her father couldn't spend time with her, but also how it was coming to an end. Another thing that was keeping her awake was the idea of her family losing the mercantile. She had grown up in the mercantile her whole life, and couldn't imagine living anywhere else, let alone doing tasks somewhere new. Mary wondered if that's what her grandmother meant about her father having a rough night; more bad news about the mercantile.

-----------------------------------------

After an early wake, Mary had quietly gone to the kitchen, hoping no one else was up yet. She went to the kitchen to surprise everyone, especially Samuel before he departed, with some of her mother's hot cocoa.

Sure enough, everyone, including Mary's father, was delighted by the strong, sweet smell that woke them to a beautiful sunny day. It was almost as if it was a sign that it would be a good day. Mary wanted to do something different, so instead of sitting at the small table, she found a vibrant yellow blanket, the color of the sun, and laid it on the dusty floor. She smiled and brought the warm hot cocoa with only one marshmallow each, and set them down on a small tray that usually held biscuits for the mercantile, just as everyone started filing into the room, with surprised, but pleasant expressions.

"Why, what is all this Mary?" Mary's grandmother said in a sweet voice.

"Oh, just something nice before Samuel leaves today."

"That's very kind of you, honey." Mary's father responded.

"Thanks Mary. I really appreciate all this..." Samuel gestured towards Mary's set up, "but we can't stay and enjoy ourselves for too long. Remember? We need to ask Ned to take care of Rex before I go."

Mary nodded. "As soon as we're done, we'll go. Is that okay Pa?"

"Of course, but I want to come with you. I have arranged to pick up some new bread anyways, instead of Ned bringing the bread here ."

"Okay." Mary said, calmly, not upset that her father wanted to supervise them.

-----------------------------------------

Everyone loved the hot cocoa and Mary was happy to have John and her grandmother try it for the first time. She wanted to see if they thought it was just as good as her mothers, just like her father had told her. They didn't say that specifically, but she knew that they enjoyed it anyway.

After finishing their hot cocoa, Mary, her father, and Samuel, with Rex tagging along,  all set out for the bakery down the street. After a short walk, they arrived, ready to ask Ned if he would take in Rex, at least until Samuel found a permanent home. With only an hour until Samuel was to leave for the orphanage, Mary wanted this task out of the way, so that she could focus on saying her goodbyes to her friend.  Mary climbed the stairs and knocked on the door. Shortly after, Ned opened the door and smiled when he saw Rex.

"Ahh, if it isn't the wonderful Rex! To what do I owe the pleasure?" He stumbled and then said, "Of all of you, of course!"

Mary's father chuckled then said, "I'm here to pick up the box of bread that we arranged."

"Of course, but surely the rest of you didn't come just for the crate of delicious bread?" questioned Ned.

Mary looked at Samuel and prodded him with her eyes.

"Actually, there is something we would like to ask you. A little favor." Samuel said in a small voice.

"I see. Well, do come in! My apologies for not doing so earlier. It is quite chilly out, even though the sun is shining! Come in! I do not open for another half hour or so. We can make do with the time...yes, I think so, don't you? What are you waiting for? Come on into the warmth!" Ned said, raving on. He looked around, as if curious to find out what was slowing them from entering, when clearly he was in the way of the entrance. "Oh dear. I am blocking the door, aren't I? Whoops!" Ned walked outside of the door frame, rather than inside, and said to the group, "After you, please, I insist."

"Thanks Ned," Mary's father chuckled again.

It's good to see Pa so happy, Mary said to herself.

They all walked into the bakery and immediately felt the warmth that Ned was talking about.

This is cozy. I could surely live like this!

"Please...do have a seat! I would offer a couch, but I'm afraid all I have are tables for my customers."

"That's plenty good enough for our family, Ned, considering we only have room for three at our table," Mary's father informed him.

"Ahh, I'm happy to be of help then. Sticky bun, anyone? My treat!"

"Yes please!" Mary and Samuel said in unison.

"And you?" Ned pointed to Mary's father.

"No thanks, I am sweetened out by Mary's wonderful hot cocoa this morning."

"I see. Sounds yummy. I would love to have a taste of your hot cocoa, Mary."

"Sure, I'll bring some over next time." Mary felt like her hot cocoa was becoming famous, even though it really wasn't, but she couldn't help smiling so wide that it hurt her cheeks.

"I would like that. You're welcome anytime." Ned smiled. "Well, I'll go grab those buns and then we'll discuss this favor of yours." He looked directly at Samuel, and then walked into the kitchen.

After a minute or two, Ned came back with three plates, each with a delicious looking sticky bun sitting in the center of the plate. He set one down in front of each of the children, and set the last one in front of Mary's father.
"You know me too well, I'm afraid, Ned." Mary's father said, smiling. Ned cranked his head back and snorted in laughter.

"I couldn't help but remember when we were younger, the crazy things we would do for sweets," he said.

"Nothing like the past! Those were some good times," Mary's father said.

"Yes, they were. In fact, remember when we bribed Emily Herbert to help steal the candy from a shop, saying that we would give her half of the earnings?"

"Ah, yes! She wasn't a good partner in crime after all."

"Nope, sure wasn't. Ended up turning us in. Probably got bribed by the owner if she told him who was taking his wares."

"Ha. We ended up working for him free of charge for a few days to make up for the candy we took."

"That's right! I miss those days." Ned exclaimed.

"Me too. Me too..."

I never knew they hung out together when they were younger. Who knew? Mary thought to herself, finishing up her bun. She licked her fingers and then wiped them on a napkin.

"This was delicious, Ned. Best I've ever had! Thank you!" said Samuel, licking his lips.

"Your welcome buddy. Sticky buns are a favorite around here!" Ned informed him.

"I can imagine why," Samuel said, with a dreamy expression.

"Yes. Now, back to business... what is this favor you want from me? Samuel, is it?"

"Well, you see, Rex.... I need... no, I was wondering if you would care for Rex. I'm going to an orphanage today, and they don't accept dogs, and seeing the way you took care of him earlier, I thought you would be perfect to take care of him. And Mary can check in on him, if for any reason you need her, right Mary?"

"Exactly. And Ned, this is only until he finds a lasting home, we imagine."

"I see. Well... I can't complain! You know, it may even do me some good to have someone else around, so I'm not so lonely. I think being by myself doesn't have a good effect on me."

"So, you're in?" Samuel waited in a hopeful manner.

"Absolutely. I will take good care of him, and you can come to visit anytime and if you ever want him back or anything, you're more than welcome to do so!" Ned agreed!

"Thank you so much Ned!" Mary exclaimed. "This is wonderful!"

"I appreciate it!" Samuel exclaimed.

"Anytime. I'm just glad to help!"

And after a few more laughs and smiles, Samuel, after slightly tearing up while trying to say goodbye to Rex, left the bakery with Mary, and her father, leaving Rex to stay with Ned.