Chapter 12

Mary and John soon had the rocking chair set at the table, and Mary's father had the office chair also ready. There were finally enough seats for five people. Luckily for John, Mary's father was the one who was getting the meal ready and was still in the kitchen, so this delayed the conflict. A few moments later though, Mary's father came out from the kitchen carrying a large pot, but only half of it was full with something mushy.

"What is THAT?" Mary asked, trying to buy time before she had to eat it.

"That's a great question M- WHAT IS THAT!?" By now, Mary's father was looking straight at John's face.

Mary decided to stay quiet because she didn't want her father knowing that she knew about it and had decided not to tell him earlier.

"It's nothing Pa, really," John said, in an unconvincing voice.

"I don't believe you, John. What happened?"

"Do we have to talk about this now Pa? In front of everyone?" John looked directly at Mary as if to signify he meant her.

"No, I suppose not. We will be discussing this later. You too Mary - about the dog.-"

"Dog?" John laughed. "What dog? When has Mary been in contact with a dog?"

"None of your business John. Worry about your own problems," quipped Mary.

"Enough children. The food will be cold soon," said Annabelle interrupting the start of an argument.

"Fine." John said, annoyed that Annabelle had to come to the rescue of Mary.

"So Pa, why don't you tell us about the food in the pot? Preferably, before we eat it..." Mary started.

"It's called Hoover Stew."

"Okay. What's in it?"

"Corn." Mary's father started to gulp down the stew inside his bowl.

"Pa! Stop. Just tell me what is in this nasty looking thing, please!"

Mary was starting to get frustrated with how her father was acting. He's mad at everyone and won't talk unless he's yelling at someone.

"Tomatoes, Corn, Beans, and some meat. Stew."

"Okay, real descriptive, thanks. Mary looked across the table at Samuel.

He was quietly eating the stew. He looked up at her and nodded as if to say, it's edible.

Mary picked up her wooden spoon and started in for her own stew. This is going to be a long night, she thought.

                        -----------------------------------------

The stew wasn't bad, especially when it's just about all that you've got. Mary was able to finish it all in only a few minutes, although she wished she hadn't eaten so fast because she knew it was time for her father to talk to her about Rex.

"Thanks for making supper Pa." Mary said, hoping to make him less angry at her.

"Of course. Now, let's go outside and talk about this situation. Without Samuel."

Samuel looked up at the call of his name, and questioned what was being said. He was being taught by Annabelle how to knit. Mary didn't answer him. She was almost a bit jealous, but she quickly snapped out of it.

"Okay. Let's go." she said to her father.

They walked outside, opening the door to allow some breeze to blow into the house. Mary looked at Rex, still sitting on the porch. He was very quiet, which was probably a good thing, if he wanted a chance to stay with them.

"Well, he is quite a dog, isn't he?" Mary's father asked.

"Yes."

"I understand why you and Samuel like him so much, but we can't keep this dog here, and what you did was wrong, and you must've known that before you left."

"Yes. I knew it. I was just trying to help Samuel. I owed him something, and I thought by getting his dog back, he would be much happier!" Then Mary said, "Plus, Samuel's leaving first thing tomorrow, isn't he?

"Okay, so you did it for good reason, but I wish you would have talked to me first."

"Well, what would you have said?" Mary asked her father.

"I don't know Mary, but that's beside the point."

Mary's father stopped looking at her and looked down to the ground.

"Look, about Samuel leaving... he seems like a nice kid, but we can't afford to feed another person, not even without worrying about his dog here."

He pointed to Rex, and then looked back at Mary. Mary could see he was sincere and telling the truth. Then Mary's father continued to speak.

"Think of what we had for supper. There's probably going to be a lot more of that, and much less pleasurable items."

"I understand. So will you be taking Samuel in the morning then? To another town?" she asked.

Mary tried to stay calm, but she wanted to cry. Where will I ever find another friend like Samuel, she thought to herself.

"I'm afraid so. I'm sorry Mary. I know the friendship between you guys was becoming something special."

"Yes. It was," she agreed.

"Well, why don't we go inside and warm up and talk to Samuel about the plan for tomorrow?"

"Sure."

"But before we go in, you do understand what I was saying about you coming to me before you do something?"

"Yes,"

"Good." He paused for a moment, then said, "I'm always here for you."

Not all the time, Mary was thinking, but instead she said, "Thanks."

Then they walked in together and prepared to talk to Samuel.