Progress

It's been a month since the last session of therapy. The trial had started and so far the jury was in favor of James as he was not in control of the murders. 
__________________________________

It had been a rough couple of weeks, the trial required long hours and a lot more stressful times, trying to keep James stable was difficult when the prosecutor was questioning him.. but he's kept up well with control to extent at least.. we were able to demonstrate how the shifting works who is who and the jury met Flint.. the man who murdered five people. James's Lawyer still thinks we need one more hardcore piece of evidence that can convince the jury that James can remain stable, which I've been brainstorming ideas. What if he were to live a steady life outside of the institution... like in an apartment with someone that is monitored not constantly but enough to prove that James is not an endanger to himself or society... it could work... if I can convince them to allow this to be carried out.

I was sitting in the office of my boss, Doctor Robert Crain along with James's Lawyer Lisa Havens, I know James better than both of these people I sit with him everyday for hours. And talk with him get to know him and understand him, I know that this plan could work I just need their approval and support.

"Doctor Voise you've called this meeting very abruptly... what is it that you need my dear?" Doctor Crain admired my work and my passion for the job... I hope that doesn't change when I suggest this..

"Doctor Crain... Ms. Havens believes we need another hardcore piece of evidence to prove that James does not threaten himself or society.. I am proposing we conduct a test, where we station an apartment set that is monitored throughout the day so checked every so often where James can live day to day with an accomplice monitoring his condition.. in order to prove he's made progressive progress in his condition." Crain stared at me, it wasn't an are you crazy stare it was a that is a bizarre proposal stare.

"That is a bizarre idea... it's risky but based on how your treatment has gone I'm not apposed to allowing it." He turned to look at Ms. Havens who was shocked. I could tell she thought I was crazy.

"Are you insane?! He's not stable and on top of that I'm not gonna live with Jim's in order to prove a point." That statement genuinely made me sad... she's his lawyer and she believes that he's innocent yet she makes statements like that,

"Um. Ms. Havens you would not be staying with James... Doctor Voise would be, she's proven to be a comfort to him and she understands his condition more than either of us or anyone for that matter." Her jaw dropped, and personally I didn't expect him to allow me to do that.

"Alexandria I want you to inform James of this decision, and prepare yourself accordingly. I will prepare a two bedroom two bathroom apartment for you two to live starting tomorrow where you'll be checked on throughout the day.. nights you will have to call a guard if needed." I nodded yes and started to make my way out of his office. I was so happy, I think this could be a turn around for James.

"I can't believe you'd suggest something so... just.. honestly fucking insane excuse my language." Lisa had started to walk beside me, I understand her concerns but... James isn't violent.. he's never been violent.

"I don't think you fully know your client Lisa, not to be rude. But he's not crazy. And he's not delusional." She looked at me with genuine interest,

"What do you mean? He's mentally incompetent." I laughed slightly, scoffing almost.

"No. He is competent, I've been able to get him to place where he is able to control his alters.. some even fading. Will it cure his Anxiety, depression, and OCD probably not but... if I can limit his alters and give him more control. It could be monumental." She stared at me with awe, most lawyers and people in the justice system don't see a person and there problems all the time they see a crime and how it's against the constitution.

But there are people out there who cannot control their actions and I intend to stand up for those people and advocate for proper treatment.

"Well Alexandria Voise, God bless you and your efforts... I hope it'll help this young man." I smiled and we parted ways. Her going down the hall to the elevator and me continuing down the hall to where James was being held, I had signalled the guard to open the door and I was excited to tell James what I had planned.

He was sitting on his bed resting his back against the wall and his feet were planted on the floor, he was wearing a navy blue suit with a deep red tie and white button up with leather dress shoes. His hair was disheveled and he looked exhausted, the trial was long and he was being put on display... it certainly wasn't easy.

"James.. I have some news." He sat up adjusting his hair, and tiredly hunched over resting his elbows on his knees keeping his eyes on me.

"We are going to allow you to live in an apartment that will be checked on... to monitor your progress and condition.. and I will be with you to be a witness. It'll help prove that you are one hundred percent not a threat to society." He smiled and sat up once again,

"You Lexie have truly done everything possible to help me." I smiled... he rarely called me by my nickname let alone not refer to me as his doctor. He always asked to hug me, but I couldn't because of him being my patient and me being his doctor.

"I will see you tomorrow, after you've been transferred to the apartment." He smiled and laid back down onto his bed, and I walked back out of his room. I was nervous for this experiment but I have high hopes for it.. I think it could actually make a difference and make a statement on what proper treatment and care can do.

I had packed clothes for the next week, not knowing if the experiment would last beyond that considering the possibility of it failing... my suitcase had clothes and everything I'd need to live normally. It feels weird to pack for work... it's not vacation but it's not living normally even if it's meant to be normal. I'm going to be living with my patient for a week... my thoughts were soon interrupted but my phone ringing.. I looked at the ID.

"Dad." I smiled looking down at my phone, I answered the call.

"Hi sweety I know it's been a while.. I don't know when to call you now I know you're busy." I couldn't help but smile... despite everything that has happened to me my dad has always been there and we've always been close.. ever since my mom died it's been just the two of us.

"It's ok daddy, how are you!" I could hear him laugh on the other end of the phone,

"I'm doing well, went fishing with your uncles and your Papa... visited mom. How's work? I heard you've been working on a case!" I could tell it hurt him to say that... even to this day he misses mom. He's never considered going out with another woman which genuinely shows how much he loved my mom.

"Yeah! I've been working with a patient with DID which I'm sure you've seen in the news. It's been tough but I think the treatment is going well! I'm actually getting ready to start a week long experiment with him."

"Oh that sounds intense, I know you're not allowed to talk about it but I wish you so much luck honey. I'm planning on working on the yard today, do you plan on visiting any time soon?"

"Yeah! After this case I'm going to need a break, I can't wait to be home. I'll make you some cookies when I get there." I miss my dad and I can't wait to be spend time with back home in Bar Harbor, I'm currently in New York which is not as peaceful as Maine.

"Alrighty well I'm going to let you go. Let me know when you book your flight or decide to drive okay honey?"

"Yea of course. I love you Dad see you soon."

"Love you too hun."

I love when my dad calls, yes they're not consistent but he knows I work and doesn't want to stress me out. He could never stress me out, ever.