Chapter 8-Shine

When Vox opened his eyes the next morning, Val was already gone. The cool sheets beside the TV demon were empty and devoid of his fiance's warm body. He sighed and pulled himself upright and off the bed, padding softly to the closet. Throwing on his suit and hat, he plastered his signature smile onto his screen, before stepping into the hallway. 

The warm smell of food wafted down the blue halls from the kitchen. Vox followed the scent into the room and leaned on the island quietly. Val was cooking, moving to an invisible rhythm as he flowed around the kitchen. He cruised around the tiled floor with practiced expertise before stopping with a squeak as his eyes landed on Vox.

"V-vox! How long have you been there?" He stuttered softly, regaining his balance.

"Long enough, Flutterby~" Vox replied and crossed the kitchen to wrap his arms around his fiance's waist, "You looked so cute I just couldn't help it."

"I-" Valentino started to protest, wrapping his arms around Vox, "Wait no. I am cute, you're right."

Vox laughed gently at his moth, taking in his soft features, the last time he'd see them so relaxed until the evening if that. 

"Has anyone told you how beautiful you are today~" Vox cooed softly.

"Uh. No?" 

"Good~ Because that's my job. You're beautiful~" 

"What is up with you today, Amorcito? You're so lovey dovey." Val asked as he lifted Vox's chin to get a better look.

The TV demon twisted his face, kissing the palm of Valentino's hand and trailing featherlight kisses up the moth's arm. Then he moved and leaned up to kiss the other overlord's lips, soft and tender. 

"I'm glad I have you back, my love. And I'm never letting anyone take you again. I swear." Vox said, a flare of protectiveness and possessiveness in his eyes.

Val smiled softly and kisses him back, their lips staying locked like that for a few seconds before Velvette bounded into the room. Her energy could be felt as she zipped past them before coming to a stop at the other end of the room. 

"Oooooh, shit. Did I interrupt a moment?" She asked.

"No, Babydoll, it's alright." Val assured her, "Here, I made some breakfast."

Velvette's expression lit up immediately at the mention of food and she plopped onto one of the bar stools. Val heaped some food onto her plate and set it down in front her, leaving her to devour it while beckoning Vox.

Vox smiled and followed, reaching out to take hold of Val's arm, but pulling away quickly when the moth flinched. Anxiety and worry flared in Vox's mind as he caught a glimpse of a large black and blue bruise on his fiance's arm.

"Val...? Look at me." He asked quietly as they stepped into their bedroom.

Valentino turned slowly to look at the TV demon, shame pooling in his eyes. 

"I..." He trailed off.

"Show me." Vox's voice was soft, but firm.

Val sighed reluctantly as he slid the coat down, letting it unfurl into his wings. Vox watched carefully as the sleeves of the fluffy red coat came down and his breath hitched. Valentino's arms and chest were covered in a plethora of bruises and scrapes, some of them spanning the length of Vox's hand. 

"Val...Why didn't you tell me...?" Vox breathed quietly, a few tears forming in his eyes.

"I...Because it's not a big deal...They'll heal." The moth said defensively as he tried to hide his own tears.

"No. Because it is a big deal! He hurt you and I wasn't there to protect you! He left you battered and damaged and it's all my fault! So yeah, it does matter!" Vox shouted.

Valentino's back hit the wall and he sank down it, staring up at Vox with a few tears streaming down his cheeks. Vox came down and hugged his fiance, burying his face in the moth's neck and alternating between hugging him and kissing him softly.

"I...I'm so sorry Flutterby...I shouldn't have let him take you. I love you."

Val sighed and hauled them both up from the floor. 

"I've never doubted your love for me. Okay maybe like three times but that's it I swear.  You are an amazing, caring person that I'm so lucky to have. You've always tried your best to love me through everything and there's nothing more I could ask for. I love you too, Voxxie." Val said and took his fiance's hand.

The moth led them into the living room, trotting to the wall decorated with pictures of them and Velvette. He waved a hand at a few pictures, pointing out the details.

"Look. Look at all of these photos, these go back before we were dating, way before that." Valentino pointed to a few on the left, "Look at your face. In every single picture, you're watching my back. I see the way you looked at me, you were always waiting to protect me because that's all you want. For me to be safe. These are your words remember? When you told me you loved me all those years ago, these were your words."

Vox smiled as he scanned all the pictures. Val was right. In every picture, Vox had an arm wrapped around the moth in some way, smiling warmly at him, or protecting him from something around them. He leaned up and kisses Valentino's cheek.

"You were my world since the near beginning. I'd do anything to protect you, I hope you know that." He murmured.

"I do...thank you, Amorcito." Val replied quietly.

"So uhm...I'm still here, and as cute as this is, I feel like a teenage daughter watching her gay parents make out." Velvette's voice floated to them, shattering the moment they were having.

"Why are you still here? Don't you have work? Or something..." Val asked in a pissed tone.

Velvette spun in her seat gently. 

"I mean yeah but I had to ask you lot something so I waited and you're just making out." She replied indignantly.

"Uhm we weren't making out. We were having a moment. You'd understand that if you could land a boyfriend for more than a few days." Vox snapped back.

Velvette narrowed her eyes and trailed them up and down. She sighed.

"Can you guys get married already? Like, at least it won't be as weird if you're in your honeymoon phase on your actual honeymoon." 

Vox's eyes flicked to the left and he smiled sweetly at Val. His fiance flashed a beautiful smile back, making Vox's heart flutter. 

"Soon. I promise, soon...~"

{Boop. New chapter <3 Hope you guys are excited, thanks for being so supportive, please don't forget to vote and follow! Kisses darlings~}

Word Count: 1097