Chapter 9

"Is she going to be okay?" The voice was low and hushed.

Kaiden didn't look up from where he watched Aislinn's still form as it lay in the narrow hospital bed. The white sheets and the white of the antiseptic room only making her pale and hollow appearance more noticeable. His silence was permission enough for the person in the doorway to move hesitantly into the room.

His sister's scent wrapped around him as she moved to stand at his shoulder. He listened as a small sob escaped her as she looked at the bed, where tubes, wires and machines were fighting to keep his mate alive.

"She's going to be okay though right Kady? I mean we got out and you found us and she just ... she has to make it right?"

Kaiden didn't know what to say, how to take away this fear and pain from his sister. It was his job as her big brother, as her Alpha, it was his job but he just didn't know what to do anymore. He just had nothing left to offer her. To offer any of them.

"I'm sorry Kady. I'm so sorry. I wish I could've done more ... maybe if I ..." Ciera couldn't even finish before she broke down again. Thankfully the door opened once more and a new voice joined the room.

"Shh it's okay Ciera. It's okay." Austin cooed gently as he pulled her up from where she had collapsed against Aislinn's bed.

"It's all my fault!" Ciera wailed, her sobs making her voice thick and her words garbled. But the pain and sadness behind them was unmistakable.

Kaiden knew he should do something, say something. Knew that it was only him, his words that could ease the pain, offer comfort. But he had none. He didn't want her to be in pain. And he didn't blame her. He didn't blame anyone. Didn't blame anyone but himself. He failed her and now he was forced to sit on the side and watch as she fought for her life.

"It isn't your fault Ciera! You didn't do this! No one is blaming you." Austin said as he tried to comfort her. His voice low but hard with the weight of his conviction.

"I just ... Goddess she shouldn't be like this. She saved me and now she might die." On the last word she dissolved again into hysterics and Austin was forced to pick her up before exiting the room. Returning it to its former stillness. The space itself seemed to be holding its breath, waiting on the cusp of something huge. Something that would save or destroy them.

It had been the same for the last two days since they had gotten back to Montana. At first there had been activity. Blood and stiches. Knives and shouting. There had been anger and pain. Sadness and hope. But then it had slowly quieted, until there was just waiting. Silent stillness that was heavy with possibility, with uncertainty.

Kaiden sighed when he heard the door open again. He knew it would be Aus. His Beta was stressed, nervous, over whelmed, and concerned. He was thrust into a role he had never wanted, in a brand new pack that was on the verge of all-out war. A pack where they were now harboring two she-wolves who had killed two separate Alphas. Kaiden couldn't really blame his friend for wanting him to come back, to start being himself again, but there was just nothing.

Without her there was nothing. He was nothing.

It was like he was in his own coma only he was awake, but his emotions, his heart, his mind were gone. Lost just like she was. He didn't talk. He didn't eat. He didn't sleep. He sat at her bedside his eyes fixated on the tiny movements of her chest as she breathed, on her face as the cuts healed and the bruises faded. And on her eyes that refused to open and let him see their glorious storm steel grey depths.

When Ethan had first told him she may never wake up he had been furious. Beyond control. He had shifted in the infirmary and nearly killed Clay when he had tried to stop him. But then it had all just drained away. All of it. The anger, the fear, the pain until there was nothing. Until he was nothing.