Chapter 29

War

That is what they whispered as heavy paws pounded over the frozen earth. The air thinning, cooling, until frost glazed the world into nothing but crystal and diamonds. Until all that was dead and rotten was covered in a blanket of pure white. Reborn untainted and anew.

They ran against the clock.

The promise of the words they sang, pushing them onward. Faster and faster.

'An Heir', they said.

'A Princess', they cried.

Slowly the whispers had travelled, mouth to mouth they had passed. They snuck into the lands of the forgotten, the hearts of the fallen, and the claws of the cast out. They curled around the backrooms and under the eyes of those living so high above.

The words they flew, strewing embers where they landed, and sparking flames in their wake. They stoked the hearts of the mighty and strengthened the bones of the brave.

Armies collided and bodies bleed, and yet still the whispers grew. Travelling from town to town. From ear to ear spreading further and further. The rumors built. The stories growing louder and the current swelling until it was a deafening scream. Until suddenly it wasn't with fear that they spoke, until it wasn't with condemnation that they breathed her name, or terror that they told her story. Until it roared with life, and it was hope itself that they breathed.

'A savior', they cried.

'She lives', they wept.

The words they had never expected to hear, whispered like a prayer forgotten. Held and collected like the most precious and rarest stone.

'She fights'

'She stands'

And then it wasn't just words that were spreading. It wasn't just hope that was beating through the night. It was a cry of war. A beating drum resounding and hammering across the night sky.

'We are coming' they shouted at the moon. At the dream she promised. At the world she stood for.

'We are coming'