Chapter 20

Gina Salvatori POV

Gina knew she was supposed to be afraid. After all, the fear of death is as natural as love. And even though she was sad that she would never see her children grow or settle down with their mates into happy and content lives, that she would never get to hold her grandchildren or watch the world become a better place; she wasn't scared. She had accepted the inevitably of what was to come, and in many ways she was relieved. Even without their interference she knew she wouldn't have lasted much longer. It was too much, learning who her mate was, hating him and yet loving him at the same time, all while suffering through the loss of his death. It was ripping her apart, the guilt, the regret, the longing.

Her only fear was what her death would do to her children. How she feared for them. Ciera would be alright. Of all of them, it was her baby girl that was the strongest, the purest. She possessed such a love and passion for life that it would take more then her death to cripple her.

Her boys would take it the worst. Her first born and eldest; Kaiden, would be ripped apart. He would take on the guilt and the fault even though it wasn't his to bare. Gina could only hope that with his mate at his side he would come out stronger and not give into the hate and anger he carried so close to his heart. He was always the responsible one, too old for his age and too serious. She hoped the girl would be able to get her baby boy in line, and fill his life with the joy and happiness he deserved.

The twins were still so young, she didn't know if they would really understand. She could only hope they wouldn't hate her. That even after they learnt the truth about their father, they would know they had been loved. That none of it was their fault. That she had never wanted to leave them.

She knew Kaiden would make sure they were looked after, that they were safe and protected. One of the things that she loved and was so proud of him for was his absolute dedication to his family and those he loved. He would do anything, sacrifice everything for the ones he cared about. She knew if it was up to him he would be trying to stop this. She prayed to the goddess that Ciera and his mate would be able to talk him out of it. That he would put their lives and safety over hers.

And then there was Anthony. She didn't know what had happened, why he was so cruel and hateful. Some might say that with a father like theirs, it was a miracle that any of her children weren't psychopathic power crazed egomaniacs. But Gina didn't believe that. Whatever Sergio's faults, and he had had a lot, more than she would ever be able to fully comprehend, and even though he had done unforgivable and horrendous things, and that she was glad that he was gone from the world so her children and the rest of the world was safe from him, she had to admit that he had never been explicitly cruel towards his children. He had been cold and demanding, with high expectations and a short temper, but he had never hurt or been abusive towards them. Gina wondered if Anthony was her fault. If Kaiden being the oldest, Ciera the only girl and the twins the youngest they had gotten all the love and attention and Anthony had been lost in the mix. Left to observe without the necessary love and guidance that her other children had received. Had he seen a side of her mate that she and the others had missed? Seen the side that had been so hidden from the rest of them, covered by all the other distractions?

Gina never thought she'd ever be capable of hating one of her children. Love one less. But looking at Anthony now. Hearing him speak of hunting and hurting his brother and sister so casually, she felt repulsion and hatred fill her.

"Did I lose you there Luna?" Gina stared at the man in disgust. Anger boiling in her veins at how he sneered the words at her. To think she had ever enjoyed the man's company. How young and naïve she had been.

"Of course not Councilman. With your wit and charm how could anyone not listen with baited breath?"

There was no warning before his palm collided with her cheek, leaving it stinging and burning from the force. Her head whipped to the side and she had to squeeze her eyes closed to hold back the whimper that wanted to escape. Refusing to give him the satisfaction of hearing her pain.