Chapter Nine - Unedited

This book is now available for purchase on Tapas! Please download the app (https://tapas.io/) available on both Apple and Android and search for the book to support it!

~

Chapter Nine

I scoff, "S-Sister?"

Christian nods and walks over to the horse drawn carriage, "You heard me."

I storm after him, then grab his arm, "Explanation, please? You can't just say-"

"Arabelle, I will explain later. But first, get onto your horse." He unclips the horse from the carriage and mounts it, looking to me. I walk over to where the guard horse is and mount him, then trot over to Christian. He kicks the Clydesdale into a canter, holding the egg carefully in his arm and the bridle in the other. I keep at his pace until we reach a small hut made from sticks and straw. Christian jumps off the horse and I jump off mine, then we walk into the hut. He paces the egg in a little nest and turns to me,

"My mother kept a diary from when she was younger and only just married my...well, the king. Last night, curiosity got the better of me and I stole it and read through it. The King isn't my father."

I swallow nervously, knowing what he means, "Continue."

"Why do you think that your mum is so bent on getting close to the royal family? For her benefit? No, she wants revenge on my mother for stealing her husbands heart. My mother convinced your father to kill her eldest son, Jeremy, and was also going to get him to kill Harrison too, then once I was crowned king, she would tell everyone that your father he was my father and they could rule. My mother loved your father more than anything. Once the King found out who had killed Jeremy, my mother tried to hide him, but it wasn't enough when you told the king where he was," Christian growled, "and sentenced our dad to death."

I narrow my eyes, "I didn't do that sentence. I was only a little girl and didn't realise what was going to happen to him. Had it been now, I never would have told the King."

Christian takes a step towards me, "But you want to know something else?"

"What?"

"You and your sister are the only children that your mother and father had together."

I blink in surprise, remembering my brothers, Rory, Daniel and Maxwell. Wait, how can I be last in line? Christian smirks at me as though he has the answer,

"Where are Rory, Daniel and Max, Christian." I demand, not asking the question."

"Well, once you left, a guard had seen Danny helping you..." Christian pulls a finger across his throat, making a similar sound to a sword cutting through flesh, "And Rory fled off, trying to find you. A year later, a hunter came through and gave us his coat covered in blood. We don't know whether he is still alive or not, but he is classified dead now. Max died during last winter with hypothermia."

My stomach falls, but for some reason, I knew deep down that Daniel would be dead when I came back. Helping a traitor to the crown is nearly as bad as being the traitor. I shiver involuntarily then turn back to Christian,

"Now, how are you a dragon's heir? I thought-"

"That there was only one, exetra exetra? Well, so did I when my marking showed up. I told my mother straight away and she was extremely happy and surprised. Being a dragon's heir sealed my place on the throne. But then when you got the marking too...that meant there was a competitor for me. I didn't want to cause a fight, but my mother was set on getting rid of you, so she put a price on your head, not my father."