Chapter Thirteen - Unedited

This book is now available for purchase on Tapas! Please download the app (https://tapas.io/) available on both Apple and Android and search for the book to support it!

~

Chapter Thirteen

As we tip toe through the catacombs, I feel as though the place is more...mysterious. With each drop of water, each roll of small stones, it seems to echo eerily through the caves. Slowly, we make it to the familiar area of the archives,

"These are the oldest archives we know of," I state, slipping through the gap in the gate, "This is where I learnt the secrets of my marking and the dragons."

Christian looks around at the shelves upon shelves of rows, "How many books are there?"

"A lot. And many of them were written without the kings permission, and were hidden down here after his death."

"Which king?"

I turn to Christian, with a look as though it is obvious, "King Salvidor."

He nods and brushes his fingers lightly over the books, dust falling from them as I light a torch. He stops at one book and pulls it out. It's the book I read most down here; The Dragons. He brings it over to me,

"This one looks like it was read recently, not coated in dust and cobwebs like the others."

I nod and take it from him, walking over to my makeshift table, "It's because it was the book I used to read a lot. It has information on pretty much anything to do with dragons."

Christian raises his brows in shock, then flips the book open, looking at the history of the dragons. I turn away and begin to look over the other books, but can't seem to find anything interesting. I leave the archives and light another torch, taking it away from the archives and further into the caves, to areas dark and cool, where I haven't be before.

Suddenly, my foot ends up in a pool of ice cold water, but a second later, I adjust to it. Must be part of the bond I share with Kaloua. As I move forward more, I can see the puddle isn't just a puddle, but almost like an indoor lake. I take my shoes off - though they are already soaked - and them strip down to just my corset - which I was forced into - and underwear, not feeling the cold at all.

As I wade my way through the water, I notice there is a crack in the top of the roof, casting a slim amount of sunlight into the cave. Sooner than I thought, the water is up to my chest, and I am having to hold up the torch to keep it from going out. As I look further, I can see if I just go for a quick swim, there is the rest of the pathway up ahead.

I throw the torch into the water and move quicker, beginning to swim across the small lake. I notice that the entire room sort of sparkles, and it strikes me that there are diamonds covering the roof, too high to collect though. As I arrive on the other sided of the lake, I hear someone calling my name,

"Arabelle! What the hell are you doing?" I hear Christian yell and I turn around,

"Trying to find our dragons, what's it look like?"

He nods and goes to talk in but jumps straight back out, "Shit! It's freezing! Like ice!"

"Thanks to Kaloua, I don't feel a thing." I grin, then continue through the caves. Suddenly, I hear a splash and rapid swimming, so I turn around to see Christian coming through the water in just his pants, having left his top back with my stuff. I rush back to it and drag him out, ready to find a way to warm him up, but he is already regaining his warmth.

"You reminded me that since Nadi is fire, I can just warm myself up!"

I laugh, "I forgot that myself! Come on, lets find them."