V

"Do you think that perhaps you could explain to me why being able to lick through an entire lollipop is an experience you can't miss out on?"

Letting out an airy laugh, she fell back on the mat we'd brought over to the park we were in. It was a couple of blocks away from where I lived, and I used to always come here with Paul to jog in the mornings when I was actively playing for the team.

"Well, have you ever licked through an entire lollipop without biting?" She grabbed my arm and dragged me onto the mat alongside her.

"I mean, I haven't, but-"

"Then I guess it's settled!" She opened up her bag and took out two lollipops. "Strawberry or grape?"

Shaking my head and rolling my eyes, I took the purple one out of her hand. We opened the wrappers in silence, popping the lollipops into our mouths and looking out at everything that there was to see. The clouds floating by, people walking dogs, kids playing with footballs (one which actually hit the back of my head, and would have hit my face, had it not been for the fact that I turned around quite quickly) and the occasional bike speeding past everyone else on the concrete path.

After a long while, I began to get tired of the silence, and my mouth started feeling too sweet, overdosed with sugar. I looked sideways and glanced at Carolina, who seemed to be lost in her thoughts, staring into the sky. The silence didn't last much longer.

"Are you afraid?"

She turned her head to the side too, the lollipop stick poking out of her mouth and her eyebrows raised inquisitively, "Mmm?"

"Are you afraid? Of what will happen to you? How it'll feel like?"

Slowly, tentatively, she took the lollipop out of her mouth, "Not really. I think I've come to terms with it already."

"I didn't mean that."

She turned her head away, looking back at the sky. "I know what you meant," sighing, she glanced back at me, "I'm just not sure what's going to happen, so," she shrugged, "I don't really know what to be afraid of."

"Aren't you afraid of pain? If it will hurt?"

For a moment, just a small, fleeting moment, I saw a hint of doubt in her features. She'd looked down, gulped, scrunched up her eyebrows just the slightest. But after a second or two it was gone, replaced by what seemed to be an ominous smirk.

"We're all going to die anyway, Álvaro." Slowly, she turned back towards the sky and stuck the lollipop back in her mouth. "And I really do see no point in fearing the inevitable."

-

Alright short and shitty af because school is being a bitch but what's new

I hate IGCSE man but thankfully I present them this year and I'll be out like 2 months earlier than the rest of my school lmao

Anyways I'm really trying to update but ugh guys please bear with me I'm like drowning with homework and I've been exhausted lately and have been going to bed weirdly early

also i didn't proof read this so sorry for mistakes and typos

I love you all so much for sticking with me and my shit thank you thank you thank you

Sarah