Chapter 6

I cringed at the girl's voice, swearing under my breath. I could run, but she would surely notify security. Maybe I could subdue her long enough to get the child out, or possibly hypnotize her, but I knew I couldn't sustain two connections at once. I was having a hard enough time holding on to one.

"Hel-lo?" the girl called, clearly annoyed. "Are you deaf? I just asked you a question."

I bristled at her haughty tone. Bracing myself, I turned around.

She looked sort of how I expected, like a Barbie doll shoved into a military outfit. Her skin was all dark chocolate, and her sleek, brown hair was highlighted with blond streaks that hung in big barrel curls past her shoulders. A pair of gold hoop earrings shone beneath her hair, and a white lab coat – much like Paris' – hung loosely around her body, with a blood red cross stamped on her right shoulder. Beneath the lab coat, I made out a white uniform similar in make to the one I wore, with a skirt and tall, knee-length boots. Around her neck was a stethoscope, and although her face bore a suspicious glare, I had to admit she was very pretty. A name badge was clipped to her coat pocket, and I barely made out the name DEZYRE DRAKE.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Drake," I said as politely as I could manage. "I must not have heard you the first time."

"Obviously." Dezyre cocked her hip, placing a hand on it. "And it's Doctor Drake, moron."

I looked her up and down, not impressed. "You look a little young to be a doctor."

She siphoned in a tight breath, outrage burning through her doll-like features. "Age is irrelevant. In six more months, I'll be certified, the youngest doctor on staff." She studied me. "You don't look familiar. Not that I have any reason to pay attention to security guards." She spit out the last two words as if she was talking about cockroaches. "And you didn't tell me where you're taking Ms. Bryant."

I looked at the little girl, as placid as a lake on a spring day. "I'm taking her in for her check-ups," I lied, hoping it sounded convincing.

Dezyre narrowed her eyes. "We don't bring the patients up here. The nursing staff goes to them." She took a step toward me. "I'm not sure you know what you're doing, Sergeant" – she glanced at my name badge – "Black." She checked my sleeve, which had two silver chevrons. "For someone of your experience, I'd think you'd at least have it straight by now."

I glanced at her chevrons. She had three, and they were all gold. It must mean something significant, and I made a mental note to look into it later.

"I might have to report you to Captain Knight," she said, her magenta-glossed lips curling into a devilish smile. "I don't like dealing with idiots."

"And I don't do well with being bullied," I said, standing straighter. I rose a little over two inches above her, and she pressed her lips into a hard, thin line. "Normally, I'm not the type to judge, but you don't exactly look like you could hold your own in a dark alley, if you get my meaning."

Her mouth gaped open. "Is that a threat?" she hissed.

"Only if you want it to be." My patience with Dezyre was quickly giving way to anger, and if I snapped, I didn't know if I'd be able to hold on to my connection with the girl.

"Ah, there you are," said a deep voice. My face paled as Aden strolled up, coming to stand between us. He gave me a strained smile. "I've been looking everywhere for you, Sergeant Black."

I kept my face composed and nodded. "Captain Knight."

My gaze dropped to the floor as my nerves twitched. Would he call me out for who I really was? For that matter, for what I really was? I'm sure the base would go on lockdown if they knew a hunter was freely roaming the grounds.