Chapter 34

The gunshot rang through the air, and time stopped as I watched the Scarlet Steel bullet sail toward my brother.

Quicker than Death, Orion dodged, and the bullet shattered the window behind him. Aden swore as Orion flipped back his jacket and drew a Scarlet Steel sword. Orion's eyes were wild and murderous. "You forget who you're toying with. I am a god!"

Aden barely had time to react as Orion swung down hard. Using the gun as a shield, Aden deflected blow after blow, staggering back under the weight of Orion's fierce attacks.

I fought to break free, feeling my skin burn against the rope, as Orion kicked out and sent Aden flying into the desk. Aden's eyes rolled back in his head for a moment while he struggled to his feet, but by then Orion was already upon him. Aden rolled out of the way right as the sword came down, biting into the desk so hard splinters flew through the air.

I was so focused on the fight that I nearly screamed when a clammy, ice-cold hand clamped down on my wrist.

"Angel," I gasped.

Her cheeks were sunken in, as were her eyes, which were blood red and full of agony. Her skin was so pale it was translucent; I could see the network of blue veins running beneath the surface. Her other hand twitched at the corner of my vision, and my eyes widened. She was clutching a small knife.

Gritting her teeth, she began sawing away at the binds around my feet. I looked up as Aden threw a punch, only to be blocked by my brother. Orion flung him back with a maniacal laugh.

I felt the rope around my ankles loosen, and I pulled my legs apart and snapped the rope. Angel immediately began working on the binds around my wrists, though she had to grip hold of the chair to retain her balance. She looked awful.

My eyes flickered back to the brawl. Aden was starting to look winded. His nose was bleeding and set at an odd angle.

"Hurry, Angel!" The doors rattled behind us as the security guards tried to get in, but they wouldn't budge.

Aden must have locked them when he came in.

At last, the rope fell away from my wrists, and I took the knife from Angel's grasp right as she collapsed in a fit of coughing. I furiously hacked at the rope around my chest, breaking it within seconds. Free, I knelt next to Angel and cradled her head on my lap.

"Hang on," I said, brushing her bloodied bangs from her forehead. "Please, don't die on me."

"Sloane," she rasped. My heart sank. She sounded so weak. "I'm... so sorry."

I shook my head. "Don't worry about that. I forgive you."

Aden cried out, and I heard something hit the floor and slide toward me. I glanced up to find the gun laying a few feet away.

The light in Angel's eyes dimmed. "Save... him."

My eyes narrowed. "Who?" I wanted to ask, but her head sagged. She was gone. I bowed my head briefly, saying a prayer for her, and fixed my eyes on the gun.

At the same time, Orion knocked Aden's feet out from under him. Aden's head struck one of the windows hard, smearing a trail of blood on the glass as he slumped to the floor. Orion pointed the tip of his sword to Aden's heart.

Staggering to my feet, I grabbed the gun and raised it.

"Orion!"

He froze, rendered immobile by the sound of his true name. His eyes found mine in the window, and he smiled at my reflection. His muscles were coiled to deliver the final blow to Aden.