Chapter 31

I wasn't allowed to leave the apartment for the rest of the week. Tons of extra security had been stationed outside. I rarely saw Aden after our awkward exchange. He was always "working on something at the base" or "helping Paris out with a top-secret project." Truthfully, I was thankful for his sudden absence. I had enough to deal with in figuring out who was trying to kill me.

Though the base was technically on holiday, I couldn't bring myself to just settle down and relax. Too many stray thoughts drifted through my mind, a constant stream of activity that refused to be laid to rest. I wandered from my room to the kitchen and bathroom, the only stops on my monotonous daily routine. Being cooped up had never set well with me. Somehow, I always managed to feel guilty for doing absolutely nothing, like I was being lazy and should be working on something. I suppose my whole family had that in common, the work-a-holic syndrome.

Angel dropped by once, to check in on me. But even she didn't seem to be her normal, cheerful self.

"It's unreal, isn't it? All that's happened lately..." She was sitting across from me, staring forlornly at her hands. It was New Year's Eve, and I was home alone. Despite the trouble at the Holiday Ball, Frost insisted upon throwing their 2nd Annual New Year's Eve Celebration. Mrs. Knight had left for the base earlier to oversee the decorations, and Aden hadn't been home all day. Though I wasn't ready to admit it out loud, I was really starting to miss his company.

I took a sip of my iced tea. "Yeah, it's been pretty crazy."

Angel looked adorable. Her hair had been done up, and she had on a cute black cocktail dress with tall black boots. Seeing as it was nearly 9 p.m., I assumed she had been on her way to the party. I was a little disappointed at having to ring in the New Year alone, but under the circumstances, I guess I should just be thankful to be alive.

Oh, well. At least one of us will have some fun tonight.

"You look great, by the way," I said, smiling. "Another date with Rook?"

Angel shook her head, staring into her glass. "No. He's on guard duty tonight. At the party, that is. I'm just going to mingle for a little while, then probably head home."

"You don't sound very excited," I remarked quietly.

She sighed hard. "I have a lot on my mind."

I frowned. That sounded very heavy for carefree Angel. "Like?"

Her pink lips spread into a small smile. "It's nothing." Her face paled slightly as she suppressed a cough, and I narrowed my eyes in concern.

"What is it?"

Angel set her glass down on the coffee table. It was still over halfway full. Now that I thought about it, I hadn't seen her take more than a sip or two. "I should get going," she said. She stood and wiped her palms against her dress.

I rose with her. "Okay. Uh, have fun at the party."

She stopped at the door. "Somehow, I don't think that will be possible," she muttered softly. She turned her head as a violent cough erupted from her throat and rattled her entire body. When she started to open the door, I put a hand on the frame to block her path.

"Hey," I said softly, trying to get a good look at her face. "You sure you're all right? You're white as a sheet." I mean, Angel had always been pale as porcelain, but her complexion was a little blue tinged.

"Yeah. I just have a bit of a cold, that's all." Her voice trembled as she spoke. Then she took a deep breath and looked up at me with a bright smile on her face. "Don't worry about me. I'm going to be just fine."