Chapter 6

{rewritten/edited}

don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars. 

seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing, 

it's okay not to be okay. 

___

I woke up on a Thursday morning with a pounding headache. I hadn't done anything the night before but these headaches just keep getting worse every morning. After the headaches began, I noticed my hearing was enhanced and I could see in the dark outside. What was happening to me?

It's been a few nights since Chance told me he was a werewolf and it was also the last time I saw the black wolf. Maybe the wolf ate Chance or maybe Chance ran away when he saw the wolf. Any normal person would have done that. Save yourself and run away from a giant dog. There's just no way that Chance is the wolf. This doesn't happen except in books and movies.

All I remember is running as fast as I could back to my grandparent's house without breaking a sweat or even being out of breath. I didn't even question how that was possible at the moment because I was too busy thinking about how I run away when things get hard in my life.

The headache that I had when I woke up began to subside in my head and suddenly I was smelling bacon. The smell of bacon made my stomach grumble and maybe if I ate something, the headache would go away. Sometimes I get pounding headaches when I don't eat or drink enough water during the day.

I got out of bed and put my slippers on, not caring that my hair was going in ten different directions or that there was mascara smudge under my eyes. I slowly walked down the steps, the smell of bacon overpowering my senses. Before I made it to the bottom step, I heard people talking. There were so many voices, it was hard to hear whose voice was whose. I closed my eyes, listening closely and trying to focus.

"We agreed not to tell her until she started showing the signs."

I heard Chance's laugh. What was he doing here? Was he threatening my family? "I'm pretty sure the signs are all there."

My mom sighed. "As her family, we agreed to wait until the first full moon. We agreed not to tell her about any of this. It was why we moved away when she was a baby and why we decided this life wasn't for her. She wants to finish college and become a teacher. She deserves to have a life for herself. With you, she is trapped here forever and I want more for her. It's why we decided to give her a normal, human life."

Chance spoke, not sounding very happy. "I'm in charge here and what I say, sort of goes. Did you forget that after being gone for so long? You know how this works. Your house burning down was not an accident. That was probably fate bringing us together. She can finish her classes online, when she comes with me, and still become an art teacher."

I heard my dad take a deep breath, clearly getting frustrated. "She is our daughter and what I say goes. You don't have a say over that and I don't really care if you're in charge. We haven't been a part of this pack for a very long time and we didn't raise her in the werewolf community so she doesn't follow your rules. We ran all those years ago so that she could have a better life. You don't understand, Chance. You aren't a father but when you do become one, you will do anything to protect your children, even if that means running away. She has been through so much and she doesn't need this in her life right now. She is broken and healing but we're all still trying to help her put the pieces back together."

Chance was getting angry, I could hear it in his voice. It scared me because it brought me back to him. "Why would you ever come back then? You knew it was a possibility that she could be mated to a wolf in this pack seeing as your family is in this pack. She is mine. You guys coming back here is just speeding up the process of us being together. I have been seeing her and meeting with her, though she doesn't really know that. Everything that is happening to her is because she came in contact with me and you know it. You have seen the changes."