Chapter 23

{edited/rewritten}

don't get too close it's dark inside

it's where my demons hide

---

"Are you ready to get going?"

It was almost midnight and Chance and I were still at Simon's house. We had just been talking all day about anything and everything. We were laughing and sharing stories of each other. I was getting tired since I had been out all day. I had a pounding headache and all I wanted to do was get into bed and go to sleep. The pack house wasn't exactly close to the river so if we didn't leave now, I might just fall asleep on Simon's couch.

Looking at Chance, I nodded. "Yeah, I need to wake up early tomorrow anyway."

Chance frowned. Tomorrow was his off day and I know he wanted to sleep in and cuddle with me. "Why?"

Simon was taking our cups from off the coffee table and bringing them to the kitchen. I stood up and grabbed my jacket from the back of the couch and then slipped my shoes back on. Without looking at Chance I said. "Well, I promised I would train the younger wolves. It's been getting pushed back ever since Carter came back. I sent out a text to the class earlier to meet up tomorrow around nine."

Chance nodded. "Want me to come with you?"

I shook my head. "No, you catch up on some sleep tomorrow. Ryan and Luke will be there with me. He insisted that he's healed enough for tomorrow."

Before Chance could say anything, Simon came back out from the kitchen. Simon and Chance gave each other a hug and Chance told Simon to come and visit more which caused Simon to smile. "How about you come to my neck of the woods sometime? Get it, because I live in the woods?"

I giggled which caused me to wince. My headache was only growing stronger. Chance came up beside me, a worried look on his face. "Are you alright, love?

I nodded. "I'm just tired."

Chance kissed my forehead which seemed to make me feel better a tiny bit. Chance led me to the door but I told him I'd meet him outside because I forgot my phone on the couch. He told me to hurry up so we'd get back sooner rather than later and I walked back into Simon's house. "Missing me already?"

I chuckled at Simon. "You wish. I just forgot my phone on the couch."

Simon went to the couch and tossed me my phone. I thanked him and began leaving again. Before I could leave again, he stopped me. "I just wanted to mention something to you really quick."

I turned around to face him. "Is something wrong?"

He shrugged one shoulder. "Something could be wrong or it could just be me and my funky warlock brain messing everything up again. BUT I need you to be careful over the next few months. It's just, every time I look at you, I sense something happening to you that can change your life for the greater good or bad."

Confused, I nodded my head slowly, processing the words. "Alrighty then, Simon. I think you had too much to drink tonight. On that note, I better get going before the beast outside gets even more impatient."

Simon gave me a small smile and hug. "Of course, Bailey. Again, it was so nice to finally meet you. Please don't be a stranger."

I smiled. "Don't worry, I won't be a stranger. If anything, you're going to get sick of me."

I turned around quickly and finally made it outside to where Chance was standing. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "Everything okay, love?"

"Yeah, everything's just fine."