p r i s o n e r

"How long have you been standing there?" All of the anger that had been coursing through my veins a second ago had dissipated

"Not long." Shane shrugged.

"Did you hear. . .?" I looked around the hall and behind my shoulder to make sure no one else was listening. I'd been very, very careful not to let anyone find out about me.

"Not really. The walls are pretty soundproof."

Thank the Moon Goddess. That could've gone completely differently.

"I just called my brother. He said I'm not coming home until the end of the year."

I wanted nothing more than to break his rules, go back home and get rid of the prisoner who kept distracting him. It would definitely grab his attention.

But realistically it wasn't going to happen.

"He told you you couldn't go back to your own home?" From an outsider's perspective it sounded controlling. But we were from different worlds and Shane would never understand our hierarchy.

"You don't know my brother, Shane. Whatever he says goes."

"Why don't you just go home and talk it out with him? I mean you're almost eighteen, you're an adult. You have free will."

"I can't even if I wanted to. I don't have a car."

Ares was scared that if he gave me one of the cars in inventory that I'd drive somewhere far away. And you know, he was right.

Shane took out his car keys and jingled them in the air.

"Then it's a good thing you have a best friend who does."

He was my partner in crime. If he hadn't been by my side I don't know what would've happened with Layla. Or the rest of the school year for that matter.

"Now?" We still had half the school day left. I didn't care about ditching, I would actually be relieved to miss math class, but Shane did. He worked hard for his grades.

"If you want to go, we should leave now before it gets too dark." He suggested and was surprisingly as eager as I was to leave. This would be my last chance to even the score.

A smile made its way onto my face.

"I hope you like country music."

.•*•.

Our road trip had a few pit stops along the way since Shane had the bladder of a tiny dog and the appetite of a large child. We ended up buying a bunch of snacks from a vending machine just so his stomach stopped making noise. We were one of the last cars on the road.