t r a i t o r

"Are you okay?" I asked as Troy slowed down to a jog

"Are you okay?" I asked as Troy slowed down to a jog. He was staggering and struggling to keep up with me. After being imprisoned for so long without fresh food or water it was a wonder he wasn't worse off.

"Fine." He dismissed but held a hand to his shoulder.

"Let me look," I tried to touch his shoulder but he jumped away from me like I had struck him.

"Don't touch me." Troy growled and my wolf whimpered. I was only trying to help like a normal person. He saw the hurt in my eyes and his eyes softened a little. "Sorry, I didn't mean that. Let's keep moving."

Troy ran ahead of me but I didn't like following him.

We ran for a long time, so long that it felt like I'd been running through the woods my whole life. Ares had never let me near the enemy border. We didn't talk but there were so many things I wanted to say. It wouldn't mean anything anyway since we weren't going to be mates for very long.

"We're here." Troy announced and came to an abrupt stop. There was no difference in land but on their side I caught a whiff of many exotic scents. Maybe it would have been different if we didn't hate each other. I would never know.

"Now complete your part of the deal." I wanted it done immediately.

He nodded and faced me head on. This would be the last time I saw my mate; I didn't know what fate had planned.

"You can't come with me, you can't ever cross this line. If I see you here again, I'll have to kill you." Troy said not so menacingly. He could barely stand, he was in no condition to carry out his empty threats.

"Fine." I heard myself say.

There was no time to argue. If anyone found us now it would not be pretty.

"I, Troy Jackson, reject—" He stopped. "What's your name again?"

He had to be joking.

"Claire Trueblood."

"Right."

"Just get fucking on with it." I didn't want to beg but I was hanging by a thread. The words had to be spoken so we could be free from each other.

I kept my end of the deal up now it was his turn.

"Shit." He froze and muttered under his breath. "Someone's coming."

I didn't get a chance to respond because he pivoted around and disappeared into the depths of his own territory. I was rooted to the ground as I couldn't cross the border.

Don't go where I can't follow.

I was livid. I was betrayed. I was too late.

And Troy broke his promise.

.•*•.

Dejected, I made the journey back to the front gates alone. I snuck back to Shane's car but when I got there, there was no one in the driver's seat. No one in the back seat either.