w o l f

There wasn't one minute that Shane stopped talking

There wasn't one minute that Shane stopped talking. He kept going on and on about my house, my family, my secret life. He rattled off his theories—that I was a spy for another country or that I won the lottery and was living in luxury.

All I could think about was what just happened.

"I'm the passenger princess now," Shane reclined his seat and pretended to fall asleep. "This is my dad's car so please don't do anything stupid."

I would've joined in on the banter but I was too overwhelmed. I was frustrated with Ares, angry at Troy, and confused about everything else.

As soon as we started driving, I got an intense feeling that I was going the wrong way. My soul could feel the distance between us getting longer and it was getting increasingly more difficult to silence my emotions.

It felt like no one was on my side. Blake and Marvel took their commands from Ares, Ares had Alex, Troy would reject me soon enough, and the humans at the high school I detested only ignored me. The only person who called me was my servant Cashmere and it was because she was obligated to keep track of me. I had no one. I belonged nowhere.

I was so lost in my own head that I almost drifted off the road.

"Claire!" Shane shouted and grabbed the wheel to get us back on the asphalt. "Are you okay?" His tone wasn't accusatory, more like concerned.

"Sorry," I mumbled.

If I didn't let everything out soon I was going to explode.

There were strict rules for a reason. Countless humans died carrying the secrets of wolves. Humans and wolves could never mix. . . but if that were true, why had the Moon Goddess matched my Alpha brother with a human?

You can not tell anyone about who you are. Ares had told me very sternly. They will never understand.

But I knew Shane would.

He was trustworthy and even if he had any other friends to tell, they wouldn't believe him without any evidence. He saw where I lived and Ares was already mad at me. How bad would it be to swear my best friend to another secret?

"I have something to tell you." I blurted.

"Sounds serious." He joked sarcastically. He had no idea.

"You've seen the castle my family lives in, you've seen the place I grew up. . . I'm not who you think I am."

"I knew it." Shane grinned. "You're fucking royalty, aren't you?"

"You're only half right." It would've been easier if I were a normal human princess born in a normal human family. I wouldn't have to be burdened with so many lies and secrets. I could live without fear or restriction.

"What's the other half then?"

Moment of truth. Don't let me be wrong about you, Shane.

"I'm a werewolf."